Why become a member? ×

Help Me Choose A Bass?

marcus bell

hi peeps, its my birthday at the end of the month, and im going to be 18, im going to get a bass with the money i get
i have the decision on either getting:
[list]
[/list]Squier jazz bass Vintage modified (the fretted blocks one)
squier jazz bass deluxe 5 string (active, no scratchplate)...

i already have a jazz bass, its a 20th anniversary fretted passive one, which i love dearly and i love the jazz bass sound, but im also a fan of the blocks look so i wanted that one, but i also like active basses and have never had a 5 string so would like to get into that scene too....help me

thanks
marcus

My advice would be to get something with a different sound altogether. You'll find yourself discovering new things and playing differently. By sticking exclusively with jazz types you are staying in a comfort zone.

Now there are some very different sounding jazzes out there, so if it's the shape or look you like then seek out a pickup/circuit that offers something more or something other.

Also 5 strings, be sure why you are getting into this. They make key changes of big sophisticated lines easier, as far as I understand it but I'm find my basic plugging away can be fitted in most places on 4 strings.

Edited by cytania

[quote name='marcus bell' post='408871' date='Feb 13 2009, 06:13 PM']still not sure people,

help is needed[/quote]

We can only help so much, ultimatley it's you who makes the decision, the only other help that can be thrown your way is to actually try both before you buy. Because otherwise you've then got to decide between wether to stick with what your comfortable with for the meanwhile, or try something which is quite different. If you've had quite a few 4's and are starting to feel a little fed up with what you got then I'd say go for the Jazz 5.

hi again,

i actually a/b tested them in tmc in coventry, they were both bery good but i was more comfortable on the 4, i love the look of it too, but i already have a squier jazz 4 and was buying the vm jjust mainly for its looks and to modify it, but i also liked the 5 and wouldnt mind the challenge of learning 5 string bass too...

the kind of music i play is allsorts ranging from funk to rock however i love to slap and groove fingerstyle mostly, i already have a 2002 squier jazz bass, a jaydee supernatural roadie and a violin bass...

any more ideas people

Ask yourself this, do you play a lot of songs in lower tunings that might require that extra string for lower notes? Do you find yourself constantly looking for that lower note that never seems to be there? If yes then definetly buy a 5 string. Otherwise get the 4. The other thing is that you're obviously going to feel more comfortable on the 4. That's just because more strings always take some getting used to. If you really want to play a 5 then give it a bit of time playing it and trust me, you'll wonder why you didn't always play one.

Edited by EdwardHimself