Why become a member? ×

How often do you guys practice between regular gigs?

greyparrot

I play between 1 and 2 gigs a week, and practise about onces or twice a week. Well noodle really, for about 30mins a time, and some hand exercises. Just wondering what you guys do?? i have been playing for a while (27 years) and sort of stopped speed practise, playing along to stuff, and copying stuff, just noodle really in front of the t.v.(normally during east enders!)

Guest subaudio

Honest answer at the momment is not nearly enough :S. I usually run through the set a couple of times the night before a gig.

Normally I would practice an hour a night at least, up to four, writing parts, jamming with the drum machine and practicing scales n that.

Usually, I do an hour every morning before going to work and occasionally another hour in the evening. This week's a bit different cos I joined a new band on Sunday / doing my first gig on Friday / 24 songs to learn. So, my regime this week is as follows;

1. Up at 6.00am and into my den - learning / practising until about 8.15
2. Bowl of porridge
3. Work interruption
4. Home for lunch 12.30 - resist overwhelming desire to watch Loose Women, quick bowl of soup then another 30 mins on the bass before returning to work.
5. Home at 5.30 - into my den for an hour or two learning / practising.
6. Eat food / watch telly
7. 10.30 back in the den for another half an hour on the bass.

I usually copy songs onto a cd and use my Tascam Bass Trainer to learn them but this time, everything's been learned using Spotify - what a revelation that is.

We gig about once a week and have 1 band practice a week, though practices will probably go to about 3-4 a month when the new guitard knows everything properly. Apart from that I practice as much/little as I need. It might be 30 minutes while watching the rugby/footie on telly perhaps once a week. If I need to learn new stuff I'll do 2 hours a night until I know it.

Hi,
I try and practice an hour a day for flexibility mainly

I've been playing for 46 years and I have slowed down, so an hour a day plus a weekly band rehearsal/recording session is ideal.

Look forward to meeting fellow Tykes on Sunday, I'll be with a MarkBass 1 x 12" combo and a Fender Aerodyne Jazz bass in black.

Cheers,

Rhino.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='406034' date='Feb 11 2009, 09:54 AM']It's just a place on the net where you can play / pause / wind back just about any song you like. I've set up a playlist of the band's set and use that to learn songs. I love it - it's good for playing music while you're surfing t'net.[/quote]
I'd only heard about it through this post, i've now downloaded it and am obsessed with it!
Great tool / fun. how long before the copyright police stop it though...
Between that and Stumble upon i've now got no free time left!

[quote name='bluesparky' post='406046' date='Feb 11 2009, 10:07 AM']I'd only heard about it through this post, i've now downloaded it and am obsessed with it!
Great tool / fun. how long before the copyright police stop it though...
Between that and Stumble upon i've now got no free time left![/quote]
Ah, now i see the catch - the first advert has just interrupted my listening pleasure!