Why become a member? ×

Strings?

Randy_Marsh

I used to use coloured stings cos they looked cool and for no other reason.

I had black DRs on my Thunderbird, red ones on my Geddy and 6 different colours on my Yamaha TRB6.

My overall impression of them is that they are nothing more than cool looking.

They are very draggy when playing with them and slow you down totally. Rough as hell and last no longer than other strings

You can find some general info in the [url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:buying:strings"]Basschat Wiki[/url].

For me its Elixirs. Good sound from the off and last for ages with the sound remaining consistent throughout. You do end up with a bit of coating dandruff on the bass if you use a pick.

Not tried any of the coloured strings having found and loved the Elixirs a few years back, and having been disappointed on the odd occasion I tried something else since

Elixirs are expensive, but last well. They [i]can[/i] sound a bit plasticky on basses with wooden necks and phenolic fretboards. They don't seem to do this on graphite-necked basses with phenolic 'boards, though. They sound great on my Warwick Infinity (Zebrano/Ovangkol/Wenge), and were good on my Ibanez SRX700.

Otherwise, I'm fond of DR FatBeams. I've yet to try Hi-beams, SunBeams (well liked around here).
Nickel-wise, I've had good experiences with Warwick Yellow Labels and Fender 7150s.

For reasonable value, I always used to use Elites. They're fine.
Rotosounds die too quickly for me, and Ernie balls seem to feel really coarse, then die too quickly!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='405051' date='Feb 10 2009, 09:07 AM']Elixirs are expensive, but last well. They [i]can[/i] sound a bit plasticky on basses with wooden necks and phenolic fretboards. They don't seem to do this on graphite-necked basses with phenolic 'boards, though. They sound great on my Warwick Infinity (Zebrano/Ovangkol/Wenge), and were good on my Ibanez SRX700.[/quote]

They have got a lot cheaper than they were a few years back, for example [url="http://www.guitarandampshop.co.uk/acatalog/Elixir_Bass_Guitar_Strings.html"]HERE[/url], and with the extended life worth it IMO.

Sound great on my Wal & G&L.