Why become a member? ×

Hanon

mcgraham

Sorry guys! All PMs replied to. My apologies for keeping you all waiting. As I said in my message, I was away on holly holidays for a few days. Now back and rocking and rolling.

Let me know how you get on with them.

I've now sent out at least 30 copies of these together with some tips. Any more feedback? Or is it too soon to ask for any?

Mark

EDIT: Resent the email, someone's email address returned the forwarded email and it doesn't say who's. I've resent it and hopefully it'll work for everyone, or at least tell me who's doesn't accept such large attachments.

EDIT 2: Funkle, it's your email address. Do you have another one I could send it to?

Edited by mcgraham

Sorry mate, not sure why it's getting returned. I'll PM you!

Pete

[quote name='mcgraham' post='418123' date='Feb 24 2009, 09:10 AM']Sorry guys! All PMs replied to. My apologies for keeping you all waiting. As I said in my message, I was away on holly holidays for a few days. Now back and rocking and rolling.

Let me know how you get on with them.

I've now sent out at least 30 copies of these together with some tips. Any more feedback? Or is it too soon to ask for any?

Mark

EDIT: Resent the email, someone's email address returned the forwarded email and it doesn't say who's. I've resent it and hopefully it'll work for everyone, or at least tell me who's doesn't accept such large attachments.

EDIT 2: Funkle, it's your email address. Do you have another one I could send it to?[/quote]

You've lost the email? I recommend you look it up, without some clear direction with using them, they could easily lead to just meandering and noodling in your practice time. I don't want to sound too strict, but I strongly suggest you use the advice in that email to maximise their benefit.

And yes, I did recommend 1, 2 and 4. But those are just the ones I used.

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='419937' date='Feb 26 2009, 10:57 AM']You've lost the email? I recommend you look it up, without some clear direction with using them, they could easily lead to just meandering and noodling in your practice time. I don't want to sound too strict, but I strongly suggest you use the advice in that email to maximise their benefit.

And yes, I did recommend 1, 2 and 4. But those are just the ones I used.

Mark[/quote]

[supplication] you have a pm [/supplication]

[quote name='mcgraham' post='424479' date='Mar 3 2009, 08:18 PM']No I'm using standard two finger technique.

You can use the Garrison technique but efficient muting at higher speeds becomes an issue.

Mark[/quote]

blimey, you've got up to 200bpm with just two fingers?

Hi Mark

I thought I'd give you a quick update, I spend a few minutes with this most days, I'm currently working up to 175bpm with No1 (I confess I've not started with both fingers yet - on my to do list) but I do think it has tightened up my technique. A quick question, when you started with these, did you work on each one sequentially to get them up to your target bpm or all three (nos 1,3,4) at the same time?

cheers
steve

Sounding good! Well done for sticking with it! In answer to your question I worked primarily on one of them, I forget which number, probably number 1. I set mini-targets of 150, 180, 200bpm, the last one being the ultimate goal. I was also working on chromatics and arpeggios, though as these were more 'artificial' exercises I practiced them secondary to the Hanon as these were more 'line-like'.

I would emphasise the importance of working on both fingers, as everyone has a strong finger that they naturally start on. Part of the work with these exercises is getting out of that 'I can only do licks one way, my technique makes it that way', and turning it into 'notes are the goal, technique is the means to achieving that goal'. The number of guys I've seen (even great, so called 'virtuoso' musicians) that simply cannot do something a different way due to glaring weaknesses in their technique that they refuse to address is astounding.

Anyway, thanks for the update, keep letting me/us know how you're getting on.

Mark

P.S. to those who messaged me way earlier in the week I shall send the Hanon to you this evening, my apologies for such a delayed response.