Why become a member? ×

Lydia from You Tube

Hoppo75

Hiya folks,

Not sure I'm posting this in the right place, but hey ho.

Just wondering what the general feelings would be about getting the rather Fab Lydia to the UK to do a couple of gigs. I don't think anyone can doubt this ladies skill on the bass and it'd be great to see it live. She's never been to the UK so would be a bit of a coup. Now, I'm not saying I'm the one with the contacts to be able to make this happen....I ain't, but having built up a rapport with this wonderful player, I know that she's definately up for it. Does anyone know anyone, who may know someone, who could make this happen - reckon it could be a bit of a money spinner for someone (just guessing), as I'm sure she'd pack a few rooms.

WHADDAYARECKON?

[quote name='The Funk' post='398998' date='Feb 3 2009, 02:53 PM']She's a fantastic player though and I'm kinda in love with her. ;)[/quote]

We all are mate :P

I'm kind of with you on the loss thing, but four or five 300-400 people gigs, at lets say £10 each.....must be worth somebodys while. She has a huge following throughout Europe and the UK so packing venues out won't be a problem methinks. I'm going to do a bit of phoning around in terms of venues and prices, and I'll have a natter with the Lady in question in terms of fees, etc. I'll repost soon.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='399650' date='Feb 4 2009, 03:22 AM']Sorry to be a bit of a killjoy but I find that highly doubtful. Have you ever put on a gig before?[/quote]

Not really mate, but like my posts have stated, I'm not planning to. I merely posted to see if anyone could highlight pitfalls or even if anyone, now knowing that this awesome player would love to come to the UK, would fancy taking it a step further. For info, I have organised many an event, be it a martial arts tournament, a boxing tournament, a school fayre etc etc, and granted, not gigs in the musical use of the word. The Boxing gig had over 1000 people there and was a huge success. This maybe a different kettle of fish, but basic fundamentals are there, venue, promotion, travel, equipment etc etc.

[quote name='Hoppo75' post='399755' date='Feb 4 2009, 10:17 AM']Not really mate, but like my posts have stated, I'm not planning to. I merely posted to see if anyone could highlight pitfalls or even if anyone, now knowing that this awesome player would love to come to the UK, would fancy taking it a step further. For info, I have organised many an event, be it a martial arts tournament, a boxing tournament, a school fayre etc etc, and granted, not gigs in the musical use of the word. The Boxing gig had over 1000 people there and was a huge success. This maybe a different kettle of fish, but basic fundamentals are there, venue, promotion, travel, equipment etc etc.[/quote]

The basic pitfall, I guess, is that it's likely very few people would go to the gig, however well you promoted it. What's the draw?

She can play bass well, for sure. But I doubt many of the people who have clicked on her youtube videos are necessarily fans of that style of R&B. No disrespect intended to her, but I probably wouldn't go to such a gig, even if it was free and five minutes walk from my door.

[quote name='G-77' post='399998' date='Feb 4 2009, 02:21 PM']Invite her over to the National Bash & she can play us a few tunes[/quote]

That's probably the most sensible idea. Get her band to play an after-party. I think the only attraction would be to bass players - and a small minority of us at that. I'd probably go though.

You know if you want to ask her out, there are easier ways. Planes to Holland are cheap these days... ;)

[quote name='G-77' post='399998' date='Feb 4 2009, 02:21 PM']Invite her over to the National Bash & she can play us a few tunes,[/quote]

Sensible idea and probably the most practical. She can crash round at YouMa's place ;) and I'm sure someone on here wouldn't mind lending her a bass and a rig. See if she's up for coming over. If we could drum up enough interest, we may be able to cover the cost of her flight, overnight stay, a curry and a few pints. :P

Sorry if my last post was really negative but I have put on lots of gigs as well as worked at thousands and know that at the moment most bands of this sort of size rarely pull enough people to cover the huge spiraling costs of putting them on. Depressing but true I'm afraid. Lots of these kinds of gigs run at a sometimes substantial loss.