Why become a member? ×

Wooden Machine Head Thread/Slip Issue...

binky_bass

So, I've been giving Binky a long overdue full set up and clean and I have a bit of an issue with 3 of the wooden rabbit machine heads...

I've known of this issue for a few months but haven't done much about it as frankly I've not played Binky in a few months! (Had a few new basses come in that have kept me occupied!)

The 'spool' on the Hipshot Ultralite machine heads are round with a thread at the end that screws into the bottom of the rabbits, as the rabbits are wood the inner thread of the rabbits is starting to disintegrate (Binky is nearly 15 now!) I'm finding it a bit of a challenge to resolve this and currently tuning the highest 3 strings is a massive headache, you can tune up to a certain resistance but when you start getting the string up to near correct tension the wooden machine heads slip and you can't quite get it in tune. 

I've just cleaned the inside of one machine heads to get rid of any wood dust and done the same with the metal thread, I've loaded the inside of the tuner thread with Gorilla Glue and screwed it back on, given the machine head screws onto the spool in the direction of down tuning, I fear that when I go to tune it, it will just slip again despite the glue. 

Anyone got any thoughts as to a permanent solution to this? And no, getting rid of the wooden rabbits and replacing them with metal heads is not an option! 

20200202_155545.thumb.jpg.7c248ac73e598468eea2df334bf70cad.jpg

• 1 month later...