Why become a member? ×

Four the love of It

deepbass5

1857787948_CS62relic.JPG.0e80dda409d3436dd5c0c9fe4d204bd5.JPG

I splashed out on a 62 relic Custom shop P bass two years ago this month, On the talk of starting a 60's band with a couple of old friends, it never happened 

It has been to just two rehearsals in two years and I had convinced myself that I am now a five string man till the day i die,  the 62 CS and has been marked for sale at the bottom of my page for months 😂

But hey, a new year and I have been shedding away for three weeks on this and it has all came back to me, that 62 string spacing is no longer a canyon and I have now clocked up my first big band reading gig on it.

When i went over to five string bass about 17 years ago i made myself play it for a year with no going back started by using the B string as a thumb rest until comfortable when to use it in my playing.

So seems crazy why i didn't treat the new my P bass with the same dedication and determination.

So I am now going to make sure i keep both 4 and 5's in use so i don't get scared and have to relearn them again.

hope this helps some of you having the same fears in either direction.

PS It is no longer for sale sorry, I will be editing my page very shortly ,  😊

• Like 3

Nice.

Took my 5 to rehearsal last night. Extra string and four extra frets, I did get lost a few times. Your 'B as a thumb rest' comment rings true!

Playing Song 2 (not exactly complex!) was a bit confusing because I had to adjust from playing dropped D...

Did enjoy Lil' Devil as I could play it a whole octave down using the low C and D rumbly wumbly 🙂

Edited by Stub Mandrel

26 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Nice.

Took my 5 to rehearsal last night. Extra string and four extra frets, I did get lost a few times. Your 'B as a thumb rest' comment rings true!

Playing Song 2 (not exactly complex!) was a bit confusing because I had to adjust from playing dropped D...

Did enjoy Lil' Devil as I could play it a whole octave down using the low C and D rumbly wumbly 🙂

Both The Cult bass players Chris Wyse and Craig Adams only play 4 stringed, it worked ok for those guys, it would be interesting to hear how it sounds using a five.

Thats my fear - I did find myself a 4th out a few times whilst practicing thinking this sounds wrong and realising i'm on the E string not B

and back the other way notes were no longer there for me that were before. I think the problem would be greater playing an old familiar set in auto pilot then you crash and burn when you have to totally re think numbers on the fly. muscle memory is a powerful thing

• Like 1