Why become a member? ×

Need nfo on American Deluxe Jazz bass

Bogdan

Hello everyone !!

I'm new to the forum!! ;)

I'm looking to buy a 4 string american fender jazz bass.I have found this American Jazz Bass Deluxe Ash with maple fretboard and tobacco sunburst finish.I play mostly funk/pop/rock with lots of slapping so I think the active electronics sound great for me (and its easy to modify that bass with different pickups and preamp that require batteries).I want to hear your opinions on this bass ? Have anyone played it ? Any inside tips what to look for from experienced Fender Jazz owners ?? I had a chance to try out this bass briefly in the store and what I noticed is that it makes constant noise when its volume is fully on (everything else is flat)..Also that noise is very loud if I turn up the treble control..(doesn't appear louder with other controls)..Also there is static noise when I make contact with the strings (small crack is heard like it get grounded or something)...Now I want to know - are all jazz basses like this or this may be to problem with the store (and its electric installations inside the store that are causing the buzzing) ??? One more thing I wanted to know is how low can you put the action on these basses ? Can 2mm factory recommendation be achieved ?? Judging from the serial number , bass is 2008 made.What are the fender innovations for that particular year ?? Also what is battery life expectations on these basses ?

Lots of questions I know :P But, thanks in advance!!!

p.s. if anyone has a picture of the same bass please send it here , I couldn't find a full res picture of this particular bass nowhere on the internet..

Cheers :)

Edited by Bogdan

The Fender site will tell you about all of the 'innovations' on the MIA deluxe in 2008.

I own a couple of Deluxe Fenders and I love them.

The noise is cause for concern though. The shop might have a 'noisy' supply or other equipment increasing interference, but it shouldn't be that noisy. What you've described implies a fault with the preamp.

On the subject of the preamp, it's the weakest part of the bass. I replaced the preamps in mine with Audere ones.

That model bass isn't exactly exclusive. There are a few for sale on this forum that will be cheaper, better set up and well looked after. Unless you have your heart set on an ash body, I'd suggest you give the for sale section a once over.

If you can find a bass that has already had the preamp upgraded, then even better.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='396581' date='Feb 1 2009, 02:09 AM']The Fender site will tell you about all of the 'innovations' on the MIA deluxe in 2008.

I own a couple of Deluxe Fenders and I love them.

The noise is cause for concern though. The shop might have a 'noisy' supply or other equipment increasing interference, but it shouldn't be that noisy. What you've described implies a fault with the preamp.

On the subject of the preamp, it's the weakest part of the bass. I replaced the preamps in mine with Audere ones.

That model bass isn't exactly exclusive. There are a few for sale on this forum that will be cheaper, better set up and well looked after. Unless you have your heart set on an ash body, I'd suggest you give the for sale section a once over.

If you can find a bass that has already had the preamp upgraded, then even better.[/quote]
I must say that there is nothing wrong with preamp, its very fine preamp also in the question of sound, there is problem with pickups as they are passive they are susceptible to static noise which depends on electricity. I think you will find also at audere WHAT TO DO WITH NOISE, because preamp simply multiplies noise which pickups catch....so even allmighty audere fears that playes will spit on them due to noise which is not their fault.

I thinks deluxe models are exclusive ones, just take a simple look at wood choice...they have wood better than standard series wood.

I think Deluxe is one of best model in fenders history.....REALLY!!!

Thanks a lot for your answer!!!
Hmm I forgot to mention was that I tried one more fender deluxe in the store and it was even more noisy...Gonna try out next time some more basses to rule out the faulty bass option.I have hard time believing that these new basses are all faulty in this store (at that price range).Any ideas how to test the bass to see if its noisy without using their amps and powersupply (which seem to make that effect)..? Ok so preamp is bad ? Which Audere ones did you put in? Generally I liked the tone of this bass a lot , but could the same tone be produced using a American Standard series which is cheaper ? I want that modern hi fi slap sound the most out of that jazz bass.Also can I put active electronics - for example Audere into Standard Jazz bass series, comfortably ?? (they don't have the slot for batteries and I don't feel like drilling a new bass)..I'm really open to all possibilities here, trying to find out if "its worth it" and if there is a better option out there for the sound I like...

[quote name='Kubs' post='396651' date='Feb 1 2009, 11:37 AM']I thinks deluxe models are exclusive ones, just take a simple look at wood choice...they have wood better than standard series wood.

I think Deluxe is one of best model in fenders history.....REALLY!!![/quote]

Thanks for your answer ! ;) I generally loved this particular bass a lot.Feel high quality when I got in my hands (its just that noise that concerns me) ...But it will be a stretch (regarding price) , hope Its worth it :P

p.s. for example I play Peavey Cirrus BXP and I haven't ever experienced any noise from its pickups ....

Edited by Bogdan

[quote name='Bogdan' post='396658' date='Feb 1 2009, 11:46 AM']Thanks for your answer ! ;) I generally loved this particular bass a lot.Feel high quality when I got in my hands (its just that noise that concerns me) ...But it will be a stretch (regarding price) , hope Its worth it :P

p.s. for example I play Peavey Cirrus BXP and I haven't ever experienced any noise from its pickups ....[/quote]

As I said it due to preamp and pickups configuration, preamp is not best in the world but its very good and I think noise is not pre fault, and as it amplifies signal from pickups it amplifies also noise from pickups....

I have also little problem with poping sometimes, but for this time I dont care about it because dont have money to solve it when it doesnt bother me much. But I confess it could be pain in a$$ for some picky players.

Peavey has active pickups, they won´t do this.

Its sad that Fender cant do anything right way...general I must say its another reason why hate Fender :)
I´ve read on Talkbass few words from John Suhr which designed first version of deluxe preamp:
This is his words

[i]"My first Job when I joined Fender was to make the preamp and pickups for the Deluxe basses. I dont remember when they started changing things but it was after I left some 11 years ago. I do have a better version of the single pole piece pickups with a standard magnet setup. We couldnt do it the way I wanted originally due to manufacturing not being able to keep the tolerances. The preamp was mine as well but I preferred the 2 band which was never released. We still offer these pickups and preamps, the preamp do run on 9 or 18V and can be had as 2 band or 3 band"
[/i]

[i]With the EQ I feel I have refined the 3 band as well as prefer the 2 band in reality. At Fender they decided to limit the range of the controls since some bass players just turn everything up and with a 3 band it just turns into a mess.[/i]

Make your own picture about Fenders manufacturing abilities and attitudes

[quote name='Brother Jones' post='397067' date='Feb 1 2009, 07:04 PM']Did you try another bass in the shop to see if was something that affected all of them?

I had no noise issues whatsoever with my 2001 US Jazz Deluxe and its, er, 'Noiseless' pups.... It was really good actually - one of those basses I wish I hadn't sold.[/quote]

YES but you have older with NOISELESS they are ceramic they shouldnt catch static noise I think ......and they are also in present MIM deluxe models, so they are different than in newer USA Deluxes which have SCN´s.

I think Noiseless are considered little les warm than SCN´s but I dont think so....its just rumor from players which judge by "ceramic" pickups.

I had Deluxe MIM with Noiseless and for me they are better than SCN´s in terms of "noise". ;)

(both were designed by Bill Lawrence)

Edited by Kubs

[quote name='Brother Jones' post='397067' date='Feb 1 2009, 07:04 PM']Did you try another bass in the shop to see if was something that affected all of them?

I had no noise issues whatsoever with my 2001 US Jazz Deluxe and its, er, 'Noiseless' pups.... It was really good actually - one of those basses I wish I hadn't sold.[/quote]

Well I have tried another deluxe jazz that one had rosewood fingerboard and was 2007 production...It was even noisier...I guess I'm gonna do that with more jazz basses they have around there and if they all buzz - then I hope its stores electricity problem.....It would be a major disappointment if it would be noisy when I bring it home..But judging from your replies and price of the instrument , the bass should be working well!!

How long does batteries last in those ???

This one has maple fingerboard ?? Is there really a difference between maple and rosewood...I guess this one suits my "slapping" needs well from what I heard ;)

p.s. thanks for all your answers!!

This is major purchase for me , and I hope I found THE bass to go with :P

[quote name='Bogdan' post='397218' date='Feb 1 2009, 08:36 PM']Well I have tried another deluxe jazz that one had rosewood fingerboard and was 2007 production...It was even noisier...I guess I'm gonna do that with more jazz basses they have around there and if they all buzz - then I hope its stores electricity problem.....It would be a major disappointment if it would be noisy when I bring it home..But judging from your replies and price of the instrument , the bass should be working well!!

How long does batteries last in those ???

This one has maple fingerboard ?? Is there really a difference between maple and rosewood...I guess this one suits my "slapping" needs well from what I heard ;)

p.s. thanks for all your answers!!

This is major purchase for me , and I hope I found THE bass to go with :P[/quote]

No, I actually meant a different bass in the shop to the two Deluxe Js. You could be blaming the basses for what is is just a noisy supply/environment. My practice room at home has large amounts of RF noise from my hi fi system/computer/terrible dimmer switches, which affects all the basses I play in it - with the sole exception of my Sadowskys.

Rosewood will sound a little 'softer' and darker compared to a maple board, which is a bit more defined and usually a bit brighter. You can get a very good slap sound from a rosewood board - it's just a bit different.

I owned my Deluxe J for about six years of resonably heavy use and changed the battery once. Just don't leave it plugged in.

[quote name='Brother Jones' post='398135' date='Feb 2 2009, 06:50 PM']No, I actually meant a different bass in the shop to the two Deluxe Js. You could be blaming the basses for what is is just a noisy supply/environment. My practice room at home has large amounts of RF noise from my hi fi system/computer/terrible dimmer switches, which affects all the basses I play in it - with the sole exception of my Sadowskys.

Rosewood will sound a little 'softer' and darker compared to a maple board, which is a bit more defined and usually a bit brighter. You can get a very good slap sound from a rosewood board - it's just a bit different.

I owned my Deluxe J for about six years of resonably heavy use and changed the battery once. Just don't leave it plugged in.[/quote]

Thanks for your answer!! I tried the bass today in the story (but on a different amp) and there was same noise but it was much quieter ...so I guess something is wrong in the store for electrics...
The bass is a little bright but I guess I'm already starting to like its sound - I guess its because of maple fretboard...Shouldn't maple fretboard be better for slap ?? ;) Hope I'm making a good decision..I'm gonna try it once again and hopefully buy it ! :P

Thanks for your help guys , I just don't have any experience with Fender basses :)