Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MAG 2x10 horn problem

barneyg42

Last night was the first time I had cranked up my gear as listed below and found the horn in the 2x10 was cracking up sound wise. I imagine its a dry joint or something and will investigate later when I get home. Would I be able to cut it out completely as its not something I'm bothered about sound wise?

[quote name='barneyg42' post='395235' date='Jan 30 2009, 10:49 AM']Last night was the first time I had cranked up my gear as listed below and found the horn in the 2x10 was cracking up sound wise. I imagine its a dry joint or something and will investigate later when I get home. Would I be able to cut it out completely as its not something I'm bothered about sound wise?[/quote]

Was this at gig/practice volume, or 'trying it out at home' type volume?
Just wondering cos mine struggles a bit at higher volumes - and I've checked the wiring on mine.

You can take it out of the circuit but you need to make sure you do it at the right place, which would normally be before the crossover to the tweeter. However, as long as there are no crossover components in parallel with the tweeter it would be safe to simply unplug one of the connections on your tweeter.

[quote name='stevie' post='395296' date='Jan 30 2009, 12:00 PM']You can take it out of the circuit but you need to make sure you do it at the right place, which would normally be before the crossover to the tweeter. However, as long as there are no crossover components in parallel with the tweeter it would be safe to simply unplug one of the connections on your tweeter.[/quote]
Sorted. Crossover on side of tweeter. Tweeter removed. No problem.
To be honest I don't see what point they are in BASS cabs, as Bass_Ferret said in another thread "Are we paying extra for our cabs for a solution to a problem that does not really exist?"

I don't see much point in tweeters either, 10" speakers do the job fine, unless you like playing lots of harmonics or play a six string or something. But even then, plenty of guitarists make do with 412 cabs without tweeters... So yeah, pretty much useless.

The tweeter in my old ampeg combo was sh*te. It would just hiss all the time, really really irritating. I'd heard of people stuffing socks in them or just disconnecting them totally, but i couldn't figure out how to get to it. Got rid of that amp anyway.