Why become a member? ×

Graphite Neck

big cat

Hi. Have any body tried to custom bass yourself?

I don't have a Jazz bass. So i want to custom a black one.

I'm thinking about replacing the neck with a Graphite one and change the Pick ups with a pair of Seymour Duncan SJB1.

How do you think about it?

What type of Jazz bass would you recommend for me? A Mex fender or should i go for a MIA standard?

Do not want to spend too much since no experience on custom :P

Cheers ;)

[quote name='clauster' post='391505' date='Jan 26 2009, 11:55 AM']I'd go for a Warmoth body.[/quote]

+1

Built myself a Stamoth, Status P neck and Warmoth Body. Had to extend the neck pocket a litle but otherwise it was pretty easy to assemble.
I realy like the replacement necks from Status, very nice profile and excellent build quality, same goes for Warmoth (necks and bodies, imho Status necks are still in another league (and much slimer)). Liked the result, but sold it nonetheless.

[url="http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stamothkb4.jpg"][/url]

The body wood that you pair the neck with will have a more critical influence on the sound of the instrument. I've found swamp ash and lighter kinds of ash and alder to produce a fairly nasal sounding instrument. I suggest pairing the neck with a body made from some kind of soft but medium to medium heavy wood to dampen the response of the neck in the right frequencies. It can be soft alder or ash if you like. Also, this is the only time I'll ever suggest them but Bartolini pickups might also help smooth out the sizzle and add midrange fatness.

[quote]arent graphite necks a bit cold in tone[/quote]

Nope, not cold, just a little more clinical. As Kiwi said, a lot depends on the wood selected for the body. Get the body right & it'll compliment the sound of the graphite neck. Once you've gone graphite, wood makes a lot less sense if you're a regular working player.

Rich.

For someone who doesn't want to spend too much this is expensive advice, I reckon. Status graphite neck and warmoth body = £$£$£$£$£.
If you want to get into doing some custom stuff, then why not start with a second hand cortina not an AC Cobra.
Hunt round Ebay - get a squier JB body, pay a bit more for a decent wooden neck but not a new one, get used to working with the material, neck fitting and setting up. Then when you're confident go for a more expensive quality pairing and resell the old one back on ebay.