Why become a member? ×

Peterson Amps / Combos (Pete Tulett) Info wanted

Prosebass

I popped in SAI in Chorley yesterday and they had 2 Peterson Bass combos in that were square cubes (approx 15") and very expensive at £500 each !!!!! (Mind you he had a beat up old Peavey 110 at £200)

Does anyone own any Peterson gear or have any info on them as they seem perfect for high quality home use and recording which I believe the smaller units were designed for .
I've trawled the threads and can find very little about them other than a reference to Pete Tulett and Simms Watts

[quote name='yorick' post='387265' date='Jan 21 2009, 10:42 AM']If these have a natural wood cabinet, they're the same as one i used in the mid-nineties. Very good sounding combos, but bl@@dy unreliable and prone to overheating. I would say they are overpriced as well.[/quote]

They are indeed the same with the wood cabinet.

The two combos you describe sound like the guitar combo.
However, I have used Peterson 150watt amps over the years and they are excellent.
They usually drive EV 10" units but there are combo's with 15" EV's fitted.
John Entwistle tested them in the early days with the combo being hidden from sight and when asked what size of speaker he was playing through, said a 15", and was suitably amazed when he saw it was a 10".
They were built by Pete Tulett in Kings Lynn, Norfolk. I had a few conversations with him and he was the man who designed and built Simms Watts gear.

I did sell my Peterson 1 x 10" combo to a bass player from Bristol who was keen on forming a collection - I'll see if I can find a contact name and number and get back to you.

Rhino.

[quote name='rhino' post='387276' date='Jan 21 2009, 10:52 AM']The two combos you describe sound like the guitar combo.
However, I have used Peterson 150watt amps over the years and they are excellent.
They usually drive EV 10" units but there are combo's with 15" EV's fitted.
John Entwistle tested them in the early days with the combo being hidden from sight and when asked what size of speaker he was playing through, said a 15", and was suitably amazed when he saw it was a 10".
They were built by Pete Tulett in Kings Lynn, Norfolk. I had a few conversations with him and he was the man who designed and built Simms Watts gear.

I did sell my Peterson 1 x 10" combo to a bass player from Bristol who was keen on forming a collection - I'll see if I can find a contact name and number and get back to you.

Rhino.[/quote]

That great cheers
I was led to believe they were primarily made for studio work (the small cubes) although I did find this Peterson Cab and Peavey head in an old ad [url="http://www.wyenot.com/news/2006-12-20-8.htm"]Here[/url]
Bargain or what ?

I have had:

Peterson 100w 1x15 wood and 150w 1x15 vinyl
100w 1x12 and 100w 1x12 extension cab wood
100w 1x10 wood

They all use the same cabinet.

Never had the flight trim version of any size.

All have Electrovoice drivers for high efficiency.
Very pokey. Compression is kind of 'all or none'.
Top lift is useful with teh compressor.
The active tone controls do A LOT so you may have to rebalance gain and output if you tweak them mid-set.

Never had any trouble with them.

The 1x10 is an all-time great upright amp.
(An EV 10 is an all-time great driver.)

I wonder where I put my fliers...?
If I come across them., I'll post full features and such.

I swopped an Eminence into the vinyl 15" and it still sounds great.
A+ with a Jazz or Precision, A++ with an MM5.

[quote name='Thornybank' post='388984' date='Jan 22 2009, 08:15 PM']I have had:

Peterson 100w 1x15 wood and 150w 1x15 vinyl
100w 1x12 and 100w 1x12 extension cab wood
100w 1x10 wood

They all use the same cabinet.

Never had the flight trim version of any size.

All have Electrovoice drivers for high efficiency.
Very pokey. Compression is kind of 'all or none'.
Top lift is useful with teh compressor.
The active tone controls do A LOT so you may have to rebalance gain and output if you tweak them mid-set.

Never had any trouble with them.

The 1x10 is an all-time great upright amp.
(An EV 10 is an all-time great driver.)

I wonder where I put my fliers...?
If I come across them., I'll post full features and such.

I swopped an Eminence into the vinyl 15" and it still sounds great.
A+ with a Jazz or Precision, A++ with an MM5.[/quote]

Hi,
I 've dug out a photo of a Peterson rig I had years ago - 150watt top and a cab with an EV 15" and an EV 10" - quite heavy.
I spoke to Pete Tulett and he told me who built his cabs for him, namely Greyhound Cabinets in Hull, so I rang them and asked if they could supply me with two separate cabs to the same specs as the Peterson. He could, and did, I put the EV's in the Greyhound cabs driven by the G&K, and fitted two Eminences into the Peterson.
I eventually traded them in for a Trace Elliot 1 x 15" valve combo - here endeth another chapter in my "How to Spend Money" on "noisy boxes" (quote from a nearest and dearest) book.

Rhino.

• 2 weeks later...

I've also tried them combos at SAI in Chorley, and while I love the look and size they seemed to really lack any presence or balls! They're also a hefty £475! Bloody heavy for its diminutive size too. For the money, plus retro chic aside, you could easily get a Phil Jones, Trace Elliot or similar combo that would delivery far more for the money. I'd be interested to try them now that I have a P-bass though, as I did try it with a 5 string and that was a no no! (Hey first post! I think I need to fill my profile out now....)

• 5 years later...

hello,
what is very interesting, but not known, in 1990 Pete Tullet ordered at Nick Odell guitar designer a bass for Peterson. The project stays as proto-work, they made 3 pieces in 1992 in the factory of Euro-Spectors. Two were finished with red colour.

These reds were given for Mr. Tullet in Musicmesse Hamburg, 1992. The PU-s was made by Kent Armstrong.

The third Peterson bass was not finished until 2014. I get it in January, and my Luthier in Budapest, Mr. Mészáros Dániel finished it in April.

So, this third is my, very, very good jazzguitar. It was in the downstairs of the maker of Kent Armstrong PU-s 22 years long.

I really love it.

The location of the two reds is unknown. Maybe somebody knows about them?