Why become a member? ×

How do I remove the grille from a Trace 1153t?

stevie

[quote name='Merton' post='382518' date='Jan 16 2009, 03:35 PM']No prob! Be careful of the grille - hte first time I took off a port ring I also took off a chunk of my left hand when exposed to the sharp metal bits!!

Under the speaker you'll find a bit empty MDF box I reckon ;)[/quote]

Thanks for the warning.

It certainly looks like a big empty MDF box when viewed through the ports. Who spread the rumour these were ply? I'm hoping they had the decency to put some damping material in there, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

[quote name='stevie' post='382535' date='Jan 16 2009, 03:45 PM']Thanks for the warning.

It certainly looks like a big empty MDF box when viewed through the ports. Who spread the rumour these were ply? I'm hoping they had the decency to put some damping material in there, but I'm not getting my hopes up.[/quote]
Definitely don't get your hopes up! ;)

I think the earlier cabs were ply but they changed to MDF early 90s. I bloody hope the new 2005+ range are ply, properly braced and damped, coz I'm picking up a 1518 next week! If not, I have prob got enough wadding left from my home build to stick into it...

[quote name='Merton' post='382546' date='Jan 16 2009, 03:51 PM']I think the earlier cabs were ply but they changed to MDF early 90s. I bloody hope the new 2005+ range are ply, properly braced and damped, coz I'm picking up a 1518 next week! If not, I have prob got enough wadding left from my home build to stick into it...[/quote]

Mine has the vinyl covering, but it's obviously not early enough. Yes, it is an empty MDF box. Not a piece of wadding in sight. Nor, and this is just pathetic, is there any bracing in it. I thought this was once considered to be the Rolls-Royce of bass amplification. There's a pretty bog-standard Celestion pressed-steel 15 inside, too. That won't be there for long.

They spent some money on the outside, though.

[quote name='Merton' post='382546' date='Jan 16 2009, 03:51 PM']I think the earlier cabs were ply but they changed to MDF early 90s. I bloody hope the new 2005+ range are ply, properly braced and damped, coz I'm picking up a 1518 next week! If not, I have prob got enough wadding left from my home build to stick into it...[/quote]

According to the website, the new ones are made from "lightweight poplar ply" ;) It doesn't say anything about bracing and damping though and I have no idea myself as I've never taken it apart. Just checked it out and it sounds great :P

[quote name='Tinman' post='383944' date='Jan 18 2009, 01:17 PM']According to the website, the new ones are made from "lightweight poplar ply" ;) It doesn't say anything about bracing and damping though and I have no idea myself as I've never taken it apart. Just checked it out and it sounds great :P[/quote]
Eeeeexcellent :)