Why become a member? ×

"I really wanted to play your guitar" (tanked up punters)

Guest MoJo

58 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

I've never been asked either, and I'm based in the UK. I think its because the OP (and a lot of the following posts too) assume a small-ish pub, probably with no raised stage area; there are other kinds of venues.

I've played in loads of small places, no raised area, face to face with punters. Only once has anyone played one of my basses and even then I offered the trial. It was before we started and he was genuinely interested in my Variax, him being a bassist. We chatted bass for a bit and I told him what it did and said "have a go".

Another reason I don't get asked could be because my concentration when playing manifests itself in the look of a deranged killer. 

13 hours ago, Maude said:

I've played in loads of small places, no raised area, face to face with punters. Only once has anyone played one of my basses and even then I offered the trial. It was before we started and he was genuinely interested in my Variax, him being a bassist. We chatted bass for a bit and I told him what it did and said "have a go".

Another reason I don't get asked could be because my concentration when playing manifests itself in the look of a deranged killer. 

In pubs, I've had some interesting chats with bass players who would come up and talk about the gear I was using, particularly when I had the VBass and VB99. Frequently these were people I knew, Ipswich is a small world.

The random strangers wanting to have a go on the drums or the guitar always happened at weddings, and the bigger the fee the bigger the outrage when they were politely told it wasn't possible.