Why become a member? ×

More advice/ideas please folks

Hoppo75

Hiya Guys,

I'm extremely fortunate enough to be having an old Columbus Jazz bass copy pretty much rebuilt by a guitar luthier friend of mine but need to some advice/direction. I'm getting a new body for it (alder), and have asked for it to be thru strung. My dilemma is with regards the tone though. I don't want to end up with a ridiculously harsh, tinny sounding bass, and dearly love the mid range punch that the Jazz is reknowned for (for slap type stuff). However, I also love a good bottom end thump (lol), but a thump that cuts through rather than gets lost, think crunch, rather than thump. I've already had fender SCN's fitted (not everyones choice maybe, but I think they sound awesome). My initial instinct was to go for the Badass III, and while I've read so many fab reviews, there is something about the new Fender HMV bridge that is tickling the fancy (it is meant to have brought the original Jazz bridge up to date, IE enhancing it). Can anyone of you fellow basschatters offer any advice? I'm not saying I want to necessarily match the original fender Jazz tone, I'd just buy a Fender Jazz for that, I just want to make sure that when I finally get what will be a beautiful bass in my hands, I haven't killed it tonally.

I hope this makes sense guys. BTW, I have a 1972 precision that I love dearly, hence the thought that I'm putting into this project, it has to be right.

Thx.