Why become a member? ×

using more than one bass amp live

photographymatt

Lots of stadium level bands use more than one head at a time, and fieldy(korn) has lots more than this

After/while the one guitar player from mastadon is ill, the other guitarist is running his guitar thru his amp/cab and his ill mates.

If anyone knows...how do you do this? what product? I wont want to do this, just curious really:-) Do any of you do this? why?

thanks
matt h

Lots of ways, either by linking the amps up via their fx loop sends or tuner outputs, or using some kind of splitter. Using the fx loop out from one amp to the fx return on another will let you control volume and eq from a single point. Another great cheap way to do this is with a Boss stereo chorus pedal on a subtle setting, which can sound really fat.

[quote name='photographymatt' post='380584' date='Jan 14 2009, 07:19 PM']thanks danny.though so(about using the chorus pedal, or similar stereo output). Im guessing some amps are better at lower notes than others, same with amps being better at high notes so using two would have a really phat tone?[/quote]

Me suspects a bit of posing coming in too.

Some people use no backline at all and may well sound just as impressive, if not better, out front. Those stacks, if real, all switched on and turned up are probably a soundman's nightmare.

Some heads have a slave output, that you can plug into power stage of another amp, so you get two poer amps, twice the wattage in theory. The two outs of a TU2 tuner will also do it. You get more volume, ability to drive more speakers, fun stereo tricks, you can eq differently for a really thick sound. Oh, and you get to buy twice as much stuff.

When I was playing 12 string bass I ran it into an Owen Bass Gremlin which has 2 outputs -OD and clean.

The clean signal went to my usual bass rig and the overdriven sound went to a Trace Elliot TVT9 guitar amp (which I still have). You can also take a feed from the effects send to the input of another amp if you want so there is no need for a splitter box.