Why become a member? ×

Another courier whinge

NikNik

Two weeks back I used ParcelHero to  choose a shipment of a bass to Portugal. I chose a 48hr service using FedEx. The bass was picked up on the alloted afternoon and 48hrs later, on the Thursday, was tracked to central France, where there is an international hub. The bass stayed there until the next Tuesday,  where it thankfully reappeared on the tracking radar.

I subsequently discovered that the Friday and Monday were holidays in France for All Saints' Day. The bass finally arrived in Portugal to the recipient a full week after expected delivery. When I approached ParcelHero about recompense I was not surprised to be told I'd get nothing back but I was surprised to be told that  I should have bought 'delivery insurance'! So, what's the point of paying extra money for expedited shipping when it's not going to be open to some form of recompense when the item arrives a week later than expected?

A similar approach to FedEx directly has been ignored. 

It's funny that we've got a thread about someone not buying an item unless the seller takes responsibility for the item door to door yet we've got a million threads ranting about poor courier service, items lost, broken, stolen, late, compulsory insurance that doesn't cover musical instruments......... 

• Like 1

Have a look in their T&Cs to see if there's anything about when they are contracted to deliver it within a set period of time, reasonable delays etc. If you think you have a claim and aren't getting anywhere then ask to speak to someone higher up.

I sold an acoustic a few years ago and the courier tried to deliver it to the recipient's workplace multiple times late in the evening (like ~8pm) when it was closed, I checked their T&Cs and found this was against their own stipulated hours and rang CS only to be told I would have to pay to ship it again with no refund. I asked to speak to someone higher up as was rudely told I would get the same answer but miraculously after less than a minute of speaking to said higher up I was issued an apology and full refund.

42 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Had a quick look and you are correct, they want you to pay them extra money to get it there within the specified time period you had already paid for. Great company!

Nice one. From now on,  no expedited shipping. Not unless the buyer wants to pay for the upcharge as well as the freight cost and insurance!