Why become a member? ×

Latest acquisition becomes your ‘go to’

Guest MoJo

On 03/11/2019 at 23:12, stewblack said:

I see it as harmless fun. A voyage of discovery. After all even explorers love their home, doesn't stop them travelling. 

That's my excuse too!!  I ended up finding my 'holy grail' bass as a custom-build.  Mind you, disappointingly my only other (more expensive!!) custom-build turned out NOT to be a keeper.  So all I need to worry about now is that elusive ideal back-up bass.  Again, as others have said, I've ruled out the 'cheapie' solution following repeated trial and error.  Actually, I'm hoping to find it in the shape of the 'holy grail mkll' I've just commissioned.

As Stewie says, a 'journey of discovery' is exactly what it is!  Thankfully I'm busy - which I agree helps turn down the GAS a bit!

• Like 1

I am a weak.

After kissing an awful lot of frogs I finally found my prince in the shape of a Maruszczyk Jake 5 built to my spec.  Black/black/figured maple neck, weighs 8lbs, sounds just exactly like the P bass sound I have in my head.  It's bloomin' luvverly.  My back up is an EBMM Sterling 5 that I have fiddled with (now passive with the same Delano P pup as the Jake, also bloomin luvverly).  So I sold all my other basses, 4 and 5 string, because those two can cover all scenarios and are a bloomin' luvverly pair, the only basses I'll ever need.  I was a model of restraint  :|

Well, apart from a JV Squier Precision, that is, which I decided to hang on to as it is rather special.

Then I joined a new band - a blues/rock trio.  First couple of outings I used the Jake.  And it was bloomin' luvverly. 

Then I thought 'that JV Precision will sound awesome' so I used it and it did. 

Then I thought 'a short scale would be just the job' and got hold of a Squier VM Mustang (having actually sold one not that long ago) and, yes, it was just the job and I remembered how much I like playing short scales. 

Then I saw the new Gibson Les Paul DC and thought that would be spot on perfect for the blues band.  And it is - my new go-to, I just adore playing it.  But that seems to have opened the floodgates and suddenly I find I am in some sort of short/medium scale, double cutaway frenzy and bought 3 other cheapos which are all vying for position as back up to the Gibson. 

While all the time the Jake, which is bloomin' luvverly, sits in its case until such time as my, now infrequent, 5 string gigs come along.  I could, and should, use the Jake for everything but once my head was turned that sent me back onto the slippery slope I thought I had put behind me.  So, yes, I am weak.  

But do I care?  Not in the least 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 04/11/2019 at 10:31, MoJo said:

The GAS is fuelled by the fact that my P-bass is a Camel Journey Bass. Made in the 70's in Japan, it's a great bass with my favourite P-bass neck profile of all time, but THAT name? Camel, I hate it. I thought about removing it but hate to spoil something's originality. I feel much more comfortable gigging with 'Yamaha' or even 'Sterling by Musicman' on the headstock. Does that make me a brand snob? I suppose it does

IMG_0491.JPG.f66d36b8f4f9e033f09007890ebcf854.JPG

I'd stick some furry ears and googly eyes on that , make it look like a camel too.

• Haha 2