Why become a member? ×

The big man - or woman - at the back

Bassfinger

3 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

I'm 6'6", used to think I was 6'5" until I got properly measured and it turned out I was an inch taller, felt like I'd won something although I'm not sure what. A bit like earlier this year when I forgot my age and thought I was a year older for a few months. It was like I'd got an extra year of life when I realised.

You felt like you won something?

You won't feel that way next time you fly with Ryan Air or EasyJet ;)

I can drive our Smart car just fine, although I discovered its near impossible with my Dad in the passenger seat as he's much the same size as me and we overlap in the middle too much.  Ditto my Daughters old Peugeot 107 (that was a fun car to thrash about). 

No, it seems to be the run of the mill sized cars where I struggle, the Golf's, Mondeo's etc.  That's part of the reason I went for the XC90.  Work are used to me hiring large cars or pickups when I'm in the field, although my current firm's bean counters got stressey over it when I first joined.  I put a stop to it - when I was at the London office for a presentation I popped in to see said bean counter, squeezed into her office chair, and asked how she thought I would fit in a Fiesta when I struggle to even close the drivers door on a Mondeo due to the restricted shoulder width?  To be fair she apologised, and as long as I don't extract the urine (no Bentley SUV's etc) I get them signed off ok now. 

It has occasionally caused problems where I've been unable to squeeze into light aircraft at work.  Pilots are, quite rightly, picky about flying with the doors open and more than once I've been left on the tarmac having to find alternative transport (usually sucking it up and hiring a pickup and taking my time, but once the firm sprang for a helo) because I couldn't fit on board.  Cessna 15x, 17x, 18x series no problem, Robin's no way, some Socata's are OK (the wide fuselage models, just). 

IMG_20190820_113648156_HDR.thumb.jpg.da699690cdd6cdc68bdce5a70e3fc05b.jpg

Edited by Bassfinger