Why become a member? ×

Electro Harmonix Steel Leather or Knockout?

jango

I can't decide which to buy basically. I need a different sound, ie more bite and attack for a couple of songs live, but I don't have time to fiddle with my amp between numbers . I was thinking one of these pedals might fit the bill. Ok, I know there will be people that say 'just use your EQ on the bass' but what I'm after really is a quite a drastic tone change to cut through two guitars. I use a Ricky copy through Peavey or Ashdown amps.
I'm leaning towards the Steel Leather, but the Knockout looks more versatile. I don't live close enough to any decent Music shops to try these out unfortunately.
Anyone tried these?

i had a steel leather for a while...it's an interesting effect, but not one i was that enamoured with after a while.

basically it senses the level of the signal coming through it, and if that level exceeds a certain threshold it boosts a group of frequencies that add some more 'clank' or punch to your sound.

i found it a wee bit uncontrollable, and better for fingerstyle than plectrum.

ymmv of course

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='376883' date='Jan 11 2009, 04:24 PM']....well he sold it to me!!!
i find the SL to be a useful change of sound for more edge. it is very possible to get an instant 'steve harris' type sound, if the pedal is set right. The key to success here lies with careful use of the effect level knob, to add 'just enough' to achieve the desired effect[/quote]

i think you have more patience than me, and possibly a more controlled playing style ;)

• Haha 1

[quote name='jango' post='376843' date='Jan 11 2009, 03:35 PM']I can't decide which to buy basically. I need a different sound, ie more bite and attack for a couple of songs live, but I don't have time to fiddle with my amp between numbers . I was thinking one of these pedals might fit the bill. Ok, I know there will be people that say 'just use your EQ on the bass' but what I'm after really is a quite a drastic tone change to cut through two guitars. I use a Ricky copy through Peavey or Ashdown amps.
I'm leaning towards the Steel Leather, but the Knockout looks more versatile. I don't live close enough to any decent Music shops to try these out unfortunately.
Anyone tried these?[/quote]

They are quite different effects. I wrote a [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14480&view=findpost&p=152485"]short review on the Knockout[/url] a while ago. You may find it interesting.

Cheers for the responses, the reviews of both pedals on You-tube were interesting, but not decisive. I don't particularly need to change the tone of my bass into a clone of another model, just need more cut and maybe a slight boost, would the Knockout do this?

[quote name='jango' post='377102' date='Jan 11 2009, 08:13 PM']Cheers for the responses, the reviews of both pedals on You-tube were interesting, but not decisive. I don't particularly need to change the tone of my bass into a clone of another model, just need more cut and maybe a slight boost, would the Knockout do this?[/quote]

If by "cut" you mean "cut through the mix", an EQ and a compressor should do the trick.

I live in London SW18, you are welcome to try my KO if you want.

Silent Fly

[quote name='Toasted' post='378827' date='Jan 13 2009, 11:50 AM']Let us know how you get on![/quote]

OK first impressions: through a practice amp at home the Knockout does pretty much what it says on the tin. The low control adds plenty of beef while the high control introduces more treble and a 'cutting' edge to the tone.
At band practice today at pretty high volumes (through the rehearsal rooms Peavey 300 watt Markbass) the Knockout seemed to offer a good instant cut and boost to the tone, though it is very subtle at gigging volume it has to be said. More to follow.. (just had a shout it's me teatime ;) )

OK, first of all, this effect doesn't really add much more than judicial use of EQ but what it does do, is add an instant tone 'boost', good for a different sound if you require it for quick passages etc.

It is more 'musical' (or maybe 'organic') sounding than straight EQ.

Our set includes 'Eton Rifles' and 'She bangs the drum' straight off the bat quickly followed by less bass heavy tracks like 'How High' then later on dubby tracks like 'Changing Man'

What the Knockout enabled me to do is set a 'Normal' tone for most of the set, use the pedal for a couple of tracks to add more edge and definition, then the tone controls on the bass for the dubby tone of later tracks. It does require quite a bit of experimentation to find the 'sweet' spot though.
I could get a really good clanky Uber-Ricky sound with it, great for Eton Rifles, but I found that I didn't want to turn it off!

During a fag break, I got a chance to mess with it solo and it's possible to get quite a good slap tone out of this unit, though I'd be the first to admit a Ricky clone isn't the best for that style.

As first impressions go, it was a mixed bag. The drummer said he couldn't hear the difference, though one of the guitarists said it sounded good but was too subtle to be worth the money. I'm pleased with it, at £39 it's not a huge investment and it does offer a usable range of tones(and works well with guitar by all accounts), but if you are thinking about getting one I'd advice to try before you buy. (do as I say not as I do Boy!! :P )

I'll be using it at a gig next week so will post my findings then. ;)