Why become a member? ×

Advice on pedal power draw

Razorbreed

Hi, I have a pedal power supply, it has 7 9 volt 100 ma outs, it also has a 9volt 500ma and then 12volt and 18 volt 100 ma outputs.

I've just got an EHX Superego Plus which needs 9volts 200 ma. I don't really want to have to add an extension lead just to power one pedal on a wall wart. Would it be safe to connect to the 9v 500ma output as it will only draw down the 200 ma it needs or will that supply give it 500ma and fry it?

Thanks for any advice 

I'd verify with Truetone that it will in fact give you 200mA at 9V from a 100mA 18V output.

I know voltage * current = power, but it's not quite so simple as that.

Their website only says 100mA max, which suggests 9V at 100mA:

https://truetone.com/1-spot-accessories/

V189 - 5.5 x 2.1mm plugs. Converts 18V to 9V on 1 SPOT Pro power supplies and most other brands. Handles up to 100mA.

I'd either use the 500mA output, or use a Y cable on two of the 100mA outputs. Then again, it might run fine on a 100mA output alone, depending on your power supply (which one is it?), but that could be risky depending on how gracefully the power supply handles an overload situation!

Edited by dannybuoy