Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which Warwick?

PVTele

Russ's post on the 2009 Warwick range has reminded me of my long-term itch for a Warwick, especially as the Rockbass models are now free of that horrible headstock blemish they used to come with...

Question is, which one? I'm particularly drawn to the throaty growl the make is known for, without sacrificing the articulate quality they often seem to have too. From the playability point of view, I prefer slender rather than baseball-bat-ish necks - oh, and I only like 4-strings :P I like the look of most Warwicks, so appearance isn't an issue, given that I can't afford a Buzzard anyway ;)

Any ideas, you Warwick players?

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='376370' date='Jan 10 2009, 07:16 PM']Older than 93.[/quote]

Amen.

If you can't find a pre '93 model and you really don't fancy the new necks then aim your sights for a 2000 or earlier model, like the guy before me posted, the prices on LX's can sometimes be worryingly low.

I think the LX price was effected by the SoundControl dive. You'll find them going up past the £1k point steadily by now for the 4.

It's not worryingly low if you don't have one yet ;)

Thomann were selling Euro LX 4's for more than £1600 last time I checked.

There appear to be crossed wires here! Are we talking Warwick LX basses or the Spector Euro LX? For starters the Warwick LX is a BO and the Spector a NT so they are different beasts altogether.

The Spector and Streamer Stage I (which I think is more of a direct comparison on construction and price point) shape is essentially the same but I can assure you from recent experience if you were serious about buying either of these basses you need to try before you buy.

To help the OP make a decision on a bass (Warwick or Spector) it would be beneficial to know what sort of price is his budget in. You can find used Spector Euro 4's and Warwick Streamer Stage I's for around £600 if you look long and hard (not so hard if you look here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=34298&hl=streamer)"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;hl=streamer)[/url] and the neck dimensions on this particular Warwick will be comparable to the Spector Euro basses but if you want slim then you are going to possibly have to look out for a late 80's early 90's Streamer as they are slimmer then the Spector or later Streamers.

Of course this is all hypothetical garbage if it isn't the correct price range or you don't like the shape of the basses discussed. ;)

Same bass but different. :P

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='376706' date='Jan 11 2009, 12:21 PM']There appear to be crossed wires here! Are we talking Warwick LX basses or the Spector Euro LX? ...
To help the OP make a decision on a bass (Warwick or Spector) it would be beneficial to know what sort of price is his budget in...[/quote]

Thanks for the attempt at clarification, warwickhunt!

OK - hadn't really got around to sorting out a budget (this is more intentional daydreaming at the moment, if you know what I mean, rather than being about to make a purchase right now) but +/- £600 is probably realistic.

I was definitely thinking of a Warwick (or Rockbass) bolt-on, not a Spector. A bolt-on, not an NT. I know how hard it can be to find early original Warwicks, which is why my thoughts had turned to Rockbass, especially seeing the ones in the 2009 range don't have that crass logo on the headstock. (Call me silly, but I just don't like it. I don't play rock, per se, anyhow, usually ;) ) (I don't mind people knowing I'm playing a budget instrument - I happily play a Squier Telecaster in public - I just don't like that silly logo so darn big all over that iconic headstock shape.)

I think I'm going to have to wait till the 2009 models percolate through to my local dealer, and go and play a good cross-section of the current range, including the ones I can't afford, to get an idea of a starting place. Then maybe go and investigate the older ones, such as I can find.

Thanks for your help so far, guys...