Why become a member? ×

Beating a dead horse?

Russ

A bit of background... my old band did fairly well for ourselves for a few years there, but, thanks to some bad management, leading to disillusionment, we went our separate ways a year or so ago. Since then, not much has happened, the other guys are off playing in other bands now, but I've kinda kept the flame burning, maintaining our Myspace page and putting our album and EP up on iTunes (where we've made a few quid off it).

The other guys haven't shown any real interest in the old band, but I think, since we have some sales going on, that we should continue to push it a bit - if not by actually getting back together and playing shows, by pushing the iTunes downloads and the Myspace page. In order to do this, it'd be nice to update the Myspace page a bit, maybe a few new pics and so on.

Do you think I'm beating a dead horse here? Do you think I should even bother asking the other guys to get together to have a few pics taken? Should I just let this sleeping dog lie, or should I just not bother at all?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated...

its always worth a try if its something you wana do, the worst that can happen is that it doesn't take off and then all you can do is move on. On the other hand theres whole load of things that could happen, it could be the best thing you ever do, i'd say definitely suggest it and try some persuasion, if the other guys are up for it then go for it.

They might not be too keen at first but if you show them the potential of it then it might work, but yea, just to say it one more time... i say go for it, can't really go wrong can it?

what was your old band called? if you dont mind me asking... =S

The band's called 5th Man Down - www.myspace.com/5thmandown . We did OK - we opened Bloodstock 2003 on the main stage (supporting Saxon and Blaze Bayley), did a couple of UK-wide tours, and did two short tours in the US, where we went down pretty well. Let's say we *almost* lived the dream. :)

I seriously doubt we'll play live together again, but the material still stands up and is still selling (albeit slowly) - I think there's more that could be done there.

well even if the live thing isn't gona happen, the other guys are still making money from it surely?

it'd be in there interest to put a bit of effort in, unless the amount of money just isn't worth standing still for a few minutes to get the photos?

ok i realise its slightly more than that but still, its all for the benefit of the band right?

just give it a go, if needs be then just emphasise how they'd benefit from it if its that kind of situation.

i think i might have heard you once or twice...i'll have a look around myspace :)

Do you enjoy maintaining the myspace and itunes sales? If you're selling this music, people are enjoying it. I think that's good enough reason to keep it going. However, if you get sick and tired of it then leave it be, there's not much point in carrying on with it if you're not enjoying it.

[quote name='thumbo' post='2626' date='May 20 2007, 01:42 AM']Do you enjoy maintaining the myspace and itunes sales? If you're selling this music, people are enjoying it. I think that's good enough reason to keep it going. However, if you get sick and tired of it then leave it be, there's not much point in carrying on with it if you're not enjoying it.[/quote]

Personally, I still enjoy it, but I'm somewhat discouraged because it seems none of the other guys from the band give a toss anymore... I kinda feel like I'm being like someone who can't get over their ex by trying to keep an element of this going, when everyone else has moved on... :)