Why become a member? ×

3Sigma Audio presets for Helix

geoham

I've had my Helix LT for a couple of months now, and I've been making my own presets - start with an amp & cab, and build things from there. I go direct to the PA with my band, and use IEMs - I've abandoned the amp for now. As happy as I am with what I'd created, I've been curious about third party IRs and presets, so I bought the "Vintage Bass' preset pack from 3 Sigma Audio, along with a standalone IR of a Markbass cab.

My first impression of the presets is that they are very trebly and not especially 'vintage' sounding, also a noticeable difference in the volume level between presets. There are 'clean', 'pushed', 'crunch' and 'dirty' sounds for a few amps, each getting progressively louder. My suspicion is they were created by a guitarist who thinks he knows bass.... Despite my reservations, I gave them a bash at a pub gig on Saturday. I felt that I was cutting through the mix better than usual, though I was definitely too loud when I used the more distorted patches.. 

Has anyone else used these presets or similar? Thoughts?

I've got a selection. Ownhammer, 3 Sigma and some others. For bass and for guitar.

If you were too loud then it sounds like you didn't rehearse with them at gig volume to tweak them? Each of them can be adjusted for volume without changing amp or patch volume.

The main problem I have with IRs is option paralysis. Thousands of files on the Ownhammer ones and auditioning them takes a long time and ears get tired quickly. So I tend to stick with a few favourites.

I don't think they are actually better than the stock cabs, but the stock cabs have more options and can take a bit longer to dial in. But it's pointless trying to dial them in at home. Got to be at gig volume and in the mix.

6 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I've got a selection. Ownhammer, 3 Sigma and some others. For bass and for guitar.

If you were too loud then it sounds like you didn't rehearse with them at gig volume to tweak them? Each of them can be adjusted for volume without changing amp or patch volume.

The main problem I have with IRs is option paralysis. Thousands of files on the Ownhammer ones and auditioning them takes a long time and ears get tired quickly. So I tend to stick with a few favourites.

I don't think they are actually better than the stock cabs, but the stock cabs have more options and can take a bit longer to dial in. But it's pointless trying to dial them in at home. Got to be at gig volume and in the mix.

You're right - I didn't rehearse with them first. Part of the problem is that we probably gig more than we rehearse!

I totally agree on option paralysis as an overall issue with ultra flexible devices like this. I think I'm going to focus on building 3 or 4 properly good sounds and stick to those for a while.

George