Why become a member? ×

Crow's Nest, East Grinstead, Saturday 17th Jan

Merton

Hey Merton, nice to know another Basschatter who gets to experience the delights of playing the Crow's Nest!!

My band has had regular (every 3-4 months) Saturday night gigs there for the last couple of years. However, there seems to have been a change in leadership there lately and we've had a couple of recetn dates cancelled by them at the last minute.

The latest one was last Saturday, 3rd Jan, which had originally been booked for the 27th December...and cancelled then at the last minute when we approached the venue to confirm the date!! The venue actually phoned us on Friday to cancel the gig for the next night!

We have now been given another date for early February but we no longer trust them with future dates we've been given.

Anyway, just to forewarn you in case you haven't experienced this kind of problem with the Crow's Nest. I hope they don't mess you around!

Cheers and good luck!

David

[quote name='Merton' post='372808' date='Jan 7 2009, 10:26 AM']Yeah, a fairly last minute booking for my covers band at the Crow's Nest in East Grinstead.

But not too last-minute thankfully, it's allowed me to arrange to test a pre-produciton Bareface[b]dB[/b]ass Big One cabinet! So come down and check out the awesomeness of it (but sadly not my playing :huh: )

We'll be nostage from 9ish I imagine but come up earlier for a pint and a chinwag :)[/quote]

Cheers for the heads up. Not known them to be rubbish before so that's a new one, certainly worrying :) AFAIK Sarah is still the manager and in charge of booking bands, has been for years, but forewarned is forearmed and all! We've known them since they re-opened back in 2004 and they know if they dick us around we have plenty of other venues wanting us to play, but I'll keep an eye on that!

EDIT: what's your band called?

Edited by Merton

Sarah's still there but it was a guy who called up last Friday and who we also spoke to earlier in December.

Up until a few months ago they were reliable enough but Sarah seems to have stepped away from booking the bands lately. In fact, the only real problem we've had with them was back in December 2006 when we turned up only to find another band already setting up on the stage. Sarah admitted the cock-up and allowed us to set up at the other end of the pub. We then alternated sets with the other band! It worked out quite well in the end!

My band is Big G's Band - soul/funk covers.

I see you're from Redhill. I live in Epsom but the other members of the band are strung as far apart as Brighton, Billingshurst and Tunbridge Wells! So somewhere around the EG area is quite central for us. We're looking for another venue in the Surrey/Sussex area to supplement (eventually replace?) the Crow's Nest so I'd be interested to know what other venues you play at.

[quote name='clauster' post='372950' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:15 PM']Only a short drive from me, so funds permitting I'll see you there.[/quote]
Nice one!

Nik is trying to [s]get out of child care duties[/s] organise child care :) and I really should make Mr Claber come and enjoy hearing his cab from the audience too...

Damn shame, I have my own gig up in London that night. Would have been good to finally meet up with and introduce myself to a load of the West Sussex Basschat posse! I was also dying to hear Mr Claber's cab in action.

Merton, are you keeping it for longer than that? Any other gigs coming up when you'll still have it?

This is really annoying, just as I manage to get a BC posse together our singer has decided he doesn't want to do the gig ;) Our female singer is on maternity leave and her dep isn't free. So our male singer says "let's do it as a 4 piece instead!" then on Sat decides actually, no he doesn't want to. I've been trying to persuade him otherwise but so far failed - haven't managed to contact the CN yet anyway so might use them as leverage to make sure we do play...

Will keep you all posted, sorry for messing you around. Not a happy bunny.