Why become a member? ×

Markbass amp settings.

Mr.T

Hmmm that sounds like a mid bump between 1kHz-2kHz and a slight rolloff of all frequencies above 2k. Dont take my word on it because its complicated to see whats wrong without actually being there myself, but your explanation sounds very precise to me.

You could try adjusting the highmid potentiometer down to 10 o'clock and boosting the high pot . The highmid pot is centered at 800Hz but it will surely affect 1kHz almost as much as 800Hz, so that should do to get rid of the "clank" you mentioned. The high pot will affect every frequency above 2kHz, boosting it should help with those pull-offs.

This might sound rude, but please take no offense: Have you checked all your tweeters are working properly and are not attenuated? How long have you been using those strings?

For an all round sound I run the bass at about 2 O'clock, VLE on a little and VPF at 10 O'clock, everything else flat. I know that my Schroeder cab has an low mid hump in its voicing, so the VPF is just flattening that out a bit.

Split coil or SC Precision:
Gain: 9 to 10 o'clock; Low 12 to 2 o'clock; mid-low same; high mid 2 o'clock; high 2 o'clock; VLE 12 0'clock; VPF 12 o'clock; master 11 o'clock.

Telecaster bass type II with mudbucker:
Gain: 9; Low 9; mid low 9; mid high 4; high 4; VLE off; VPF max; master 10, all o'clock.

CMD 121H with Behringer 1x12 wedge containg the same B&C driver as the combo.

[quote]Split coil or SC Precision:
Gain: 9 to 10 o'clock; Low 12 to 2 o'clock; mid-low same; high mid 2 o'clock; high 2 o'clock; VLE 12 0'clock; VPF 12 o'clock; master 11 o'clock.

Telecaster bass type II with mudbucker:
Gain: 9; Low 9; mid low 9; mid high 4; high 4; VLE off; VPF max; master 10, all o'clock.[/quote]

;) :P :)

How can you use so much VPF filter? To the max, as well!
What kind of sound do you get? I'm curious, really!
Are you using flats or rounds?

[quote name='simon1964' post='371925' date='Jan 6 2009, 12:56 PM']Pretty much the same here with my Jeff Berlin combo. I hardly ever touch the EQ, but use the two filters depending on whether I want a ''modern'' or ''vintage'' tone.[/quote]

Snap... I run my JB exactly the same

[quote name='testrat' post='376297' date='Jan 10 2009, 05:38 PM']One quick question, anybody notice a hiss within their gear or have i got a problem?[/quote]

I can get tweeter hiss if I turn the switch on the cab to full and go anywhere near the treble boost on my Status.
Or... do you mean it is hissing all the time?

[quote name='Fraktal' post='376168' date='Jan 10 2009, 02:25 PM']Hmmm that sounds like a mid bump between 1kHz-2kHz and a slight rolloff of all frequencies above 2k. Dont take my word on it because its complicated to see whats wrong without actually being there myself, but your explanation sounds very precise to me.

You could try adjusting the highmid potentiometer down to 10 o'clock and boosting the high pot . The highmid pot is centered at 800Hz but it will surely affect 1kHz almost as much as 800Hz, so that should do to get rid of the "clank" you mentioned. The high pot will affect every frequency above 2kHz, boosting it should help with those pull-offs.

This might sound rude, but please take no offense: Have you checked all your tweeters are working properly and are not attenuated? How long have you been using those strings?[/quote]

No offence taken... I appreciate your thoughts.
The tweeter in my Ashdown neo cab seems to be working fine (although I have set it to 'low') and my strings are pretty new and only done a couple of gigs. This is definately a set-up issue.
I am not sure what you mean by 'not attenuated'??

Thanks for the advice on frequencies!
I have gotten really used to using Trace sliders, and haven't touched my sound for years.... many years.

So... I'll try gutting at 1khz and boosting at 2khz (or turn my tweeter up?).

[quote name='testrat' post='376331' date='Jan 10 2009, 06:17 PM']Hissing all the time. It's sounds like the hiss you get from a high gain fuzz/OD pedal but at a much lower volume[/quote]

I'd say that if it not your tweeter then something is wrong, as mine is totally silent.
Can you hook up to another cab to check?

[quote name='ezbass' post='376179' date='Jan 10 2009, 02:37 PM']For an all round sound I run the bass at about 2 O'clock, VLE on a little and VPF at 10 O'clock, everything else flat. I know that my Schroeder cab has an low mid hump in its voicing, so the VPF is just flattening that out a bit.[/quote]

Hi,

Did you ever suss out where the mid hump is on the Ashdown when you owned it?

[quote name='Mr.T' post='376324' date='Jan 10 2009, 07:13 PM']I am not sure what you mean by 'not attenuated'??

So... I'll try gutting at 1khz and boosting at 2khz (or turn my tweeter up?).[/quote]

Sorry Mr.T, looks like I wrote a "spanglish" word there, I mean make sure you are not "damping?" "cutting?" "reducing?" the tweeters.

And yes, you need to reduce a certain frequency that by the "clank" of it, sounds to me to be around 1kHz, and to boost [i][b]above[/b][/i] 2kHz, not necessarily 2kHz. The precise frequency depends on personal taste, I personally tend to boost around 8kHz when slapping, even though electric basses dont have much of it, but those highs are usually clean and subtle, ie. way less painful to your ears than 4-5kHz and more "hi-fi". Your "high" pot is a curve that starts slowly around 1kHz and goes up to a peak around 10kHz.

Check the Markbass manual that I attach here, you can see the EQ curves of every pot on your amp. Very handy!