Why become a member? ×

Hey-Ya!!

lapolpora

Hello All,

I've been a lurker for a month or so and have signed up not just because of the wealth of knowledge and experience available here but because it seems a genuinely nice place to hang out. Hats off to you - all the other music forums I'm a member of (SOS, Motunation, Gearslutz) can really flame newbies just for being new and posts can quickly descend into a bunfight at a moment's notice. Basschatters - I salute you!

About me:

I'm a saxophone player. Actually sax, flute and clarinet. I used to play bass when I was a teenager but I gave it up when I decided to pursue the saxophone and try and be a pro musician. A year ago I returned to it after an 18 year absence purely for my own enjoyment and I've got the bug and GAS all over again. I'm really enjoying the instrument and so much more second time round. It makes me feel like I didn't quite waste all my youth. When I get more playing experience and tighter chops I would like to find a band or two.

My bass crimes (Warning - painful reading):

I have to get this off my chest - remember I was young, stupid and needed the money. When I was that dumb, young teenager I traded my 18 year old Fender P when Fender Ps were unfashionable for a Trace Elliot speaker cab. The year was 1988 making that bass a 1970. The cab was the 4052H bright box - not even a real speaker cab.

A few years later, when Steinbergers were unfashionable I sold my mint Steinberger XL2 for £600.

My Mk3/Mk4 Trace Elliot rig went in bits to various new owners (unfashionable again) but my most heinous crime for me was finally letting go of my mint Status Series 2000 - serial no #001. I think I got about £800 for it.

My current rig and I'm trying to make amends:

I bought the bass I always wanted - A Musicman Stingray
I missed the Status so much I bought another - a late 80s Series II
A Phil Jones Flightcase-150 and a Tascam Basstrainer

Would love to have:

A nice Japanese Fender Jazz or Sandberg California.
That Vigier in classifieds
Everything else - you all have some tasty basses.

Enough for now - and thanks in advance when I start asking dumb, obvious questions. :)

Derrick

sax eh? I just took an alto in part ex for some music gear I was moving on and its looking lovely sat in its case. I've wanted one for years but now I have one,havent a scoobie how to even get started. Would it be a waste of time trying to make some headway with videos,books etc on my own first? ie to avoid frustration should I try and sort out a tutor straight away? Are there any tuition books/CDs/videos you can recommend?

and welcome. this place gives me a daily battle with myself,takes me all my time convincing myself I dont need another bass. congrats on the Stingray too. I've a Stingray 5 but the last month has seen my GAS for a black or sunburst Stingray 4 go through the roof.

[quote name='ednaplate' post='369354' date='Jan 3 2009, 04:38 PM']Welcome on board. This really is a friendly place to hang out. There are no such thing as dumb questions. As you're a multi-instrumentalist you are more likely to be fielding questions from us.[/quote]
A nice warm welcome.. :)

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='371221' date='Jan 5 2009, 06:25 PM']sax eh? I just took an alto in part ex for some music gear I was moving on and its looking lovely sat in its case. I've wanted one for years but now I have one,havent a scoobie how to even get started. Would it be a waste of time trying to make some headway with videos,books etc on my own first? ie to avoid frustration should I try and sort out a tutor straight away? Are there any tuition books/CDs/videos you can recommend?

and welcome. this place gives me a daily battle with myself,takes me all my time convincing myself I dont need another bass. congrats on the Stingray too. I've a Stingray 5 but the last month has seen my GAS for a black or sunburst Stingray 4 go through the roof.[/quote]
Definitely get a tutor - you'll get so much more from a tutor even if it's just a mate showing you a few basics, than you can pick up from books and DVDs. The problem with most tutor books is that they're almost exclusively aimed at kids so will tell you a lot of what you already know (and in quite a childish way). DVDs tend to try to hard to give everyone something so can be of limited use whatever stage you are at. No, get a tutor and save the guesswork, frustration and risk of developing bad habits before you really get going.

What make and model alto did you get? A decent mouthpiece is an absolute must as most mouthpieces supplied with saxes at any price point are rubbish. But what's right for you is a personal choice. Again a tutor can assess you and advise on what will work well for you.

[quote name='Hamster' post='371237' date='Jan 5 2009, 06:47 PM']Ummmmmmmmm - your crimes against bass are numerous and despicable!

But we believe in redemption! - even for saxomophone players - Welcome :)[/quote]
I am ready to be chastised and serve my penance.