Why become a member? ×

Bass Strings keep dying, Help Please!!!!

cjbassguy

10 days use....practice everyday, then they start to go dead..... that's about right I'd say. How can it be your bass if they're fine for 10 days.....hmm weird. I've had dead E strings straight from the packet in the past but to go from brand new to dead :) Is your bass made of some super rare dense swamp ash?

[quote name='cjbassguy' post='369729' date='Jan 4 2009, 05:05 AM']yes, im not lying at all. maybe something on the bass like the bridge or neck or something is breaking the core, this is just getting rediculous[/quote]

This sounds odd, but I've had one or two strings go "dead" all of a sudden, but they were very old. You haven't got a hairline crack in the neck have you? I've still got mine - the crack, that is - about 4" long and I live with it. A change of strings and a re-setup seems to have masked the problem anyway.

Fingers crossed for you.

Balcro

[quote name='cjbassguy' post='369729' date='Jan 4 2009, 05:05 AM']yes, im not lying at all. maybe something on the bass like the bridge or neck or something is breaking the core, this is just getting
rediculous[/quote]

If the core was breaking you'd know all about it. The core holds the tension on the string - when it breaks the outer winding unravels around the break and the string goes totally loose and completely unplayable in any way whatsoever.

Or am I misunderstanding what's going on and that is the problem?

Well, way back when I first started to find out about slapping /tapping etc. I had similar problems.

My first proper bass was my washburn status( a very bright, active bass with graphite neck).
Around the same time I used to go to various music fairs (wembley/novotel etc.)
As headless strings were more expensive back then(1989/90),I used to get a few cheap sets
of Trace Elliot strings.

Anyway, after my attempts at slapping(I was eager then-don't bother with it now),
I found that the brightness used to go after a couple of hours&I changed them too frequently really in hindsight. :)

I should have left them on,as in my opinion Bass is bass .
It's not really supposed to be a twangy instrument is it? :huh: (may have started something off here) :huh:

It didn't take me(too) long to adapt back to the original bass sound I prefer before I attempted all that slapping.
Nowadays ,I leave my strings on as long as I can.(If I was/will be gigging regularly I would change more frequent)

One other thing for any users of the washburn Status: the electrics in the bass packed up o ver time
and the bass is now passive &the band prefer the modification. :huh:
In a roundabout way, hope this helps :huh:

thanks for all the comments, help is very appreciated. i think when i get my BADASS II on this week ill leave it with my personal tech and
let him play it for a while. If there is no problems within a reasonable amount of time then its just me. If its him too, ill know im not crazy :)

[quote name='cjbassguy' post='370579' date='Jan 5 2009, 06:01 AM']thanks for all the comments, help is very appreciated. i think when i get my BADASS II on this week ill leave it with my personal tech and
let him play it for a while. If there is no problems within a reasonable amount of time then its just me. If its him too, ill know im not crazy :)[/quote]

don't laugh but a friend of mine with red hair used to have terrible problems with sweat and strings on his guitar.. not suggesting this applies to your situation just MTCW

ttfn