Why become a member? ×

Fender Bassman® 300 PRO

Sean.Robinson

Hi, im just looking into a valve amp atm and was wondering if anyone has played a Fender Bassman® 300 PRO. Initially looking at it, it looks like a re-branded Sunn 300t and ive heard they have a great rep but yet again i havnt played one either so any help would be great. Oh and how would you compare them to other valve heads, im presently considering this, an Orange ad200b, Mesa 400+ or Ampeg SVT II Pro

I'd seriously recommend at least looking into a AD200b. They are beastly amps. Right amount of power and a good drive tone. Can be fat and clean or fat and overdriven.

I used to own a 400+ and the headroom on it is astonishing, so much so that it never got turned up past like 2 or 3 on the master..

Which do I prefer? The orange. I like the breakup you get and the rich lows, plus the power is more in my ballpark given the shows I play.

Edited by Basszilla

[quote name='Basszilla' post='368384' date='Jan 2 2009, 12:31 PM']I'd seriously recommend at least looking into a AD200b. They are beastly amps. Right amount of power and a good drive tone. Can be fat and clean or fat and overdriven.

I used to own a 400+ and the headroom on it is astonishing, so much so that it never got turned up past like 2 or 3 on the master..

Which do I prefer? The orange. I like the breakup you get and the rich lows, plus the power is more in my ballpark given the shows I play.[/quote]

Hi, i was seriously considering the Orange ad200b but i have been put off a little after reading reviews that it is amazing at low to mid volume, but if you push it begins to sound like a wet fart, i dont know how true this is but ive seen it a few places so as i say im a little dubious now

I too have seen those very reviews but in my experience it couldn't be further from that. They're definitely worth a try if you're looking for something all valve, but of course it depends on your taste and what you're after. IME I find it sounds better the louder you turn it up. For me it's perfect!!

I have the Sunn 300t, which in my opinion is much more versatile than most other valve heads.
It has the ability to access different sounds/ graphic eq via the foot switch, I prefer it to Ampeg valve heads having used SVT 2 and Classic series amps.
I am not using mine at the moment (not getting any younger), opting for a lighter hybrid Eden set up due to back problems.
They are a bit of a beast.... heavy and bulky.

[quote name='wayne58' post='370322' date='Jan 4 2009, 08:38 PM']I have the Sunn 300t, which in my opinion is much more versatile than most other valve heads.
It has the ability to access different sounds/ graphic eq via the foot switch, I prefer it to Ampeg valve heads having used SVT 2 and Classic series amps.
I am not using mine at the moment (not getting any younger), opting for a lighter hybrid Eden set up due to back problems.
They are a bit of a beast.... heavy and bulky.[/quote]

Give me a shout if you ever decide to sell it. :)

[quote name='Sean.Robinson' post='375816' date='Jan 10 2009, 12:20 AM']Hi, sorry for my ignorance on this thread and thank you for all the really great comments. Ive taken the plunge on a valve head anyhow, i got a new USA Ampeg SVT-2 Pro at half price, which was just too good for me to refuse.

Again thanks for all the help, it is very much appreciated.

Sean[/quote]
Where did you get the Ampeg, Sean? Sounds like a good deal.

Cheers

Mark