Why become a member? ×

cobbled together amp

ahpook

just sorting out the spare/music room after my folks were in it at xmas and i decided to pull out some old bits of kit and build a franken-amp...

so...here it is, in it's valvesque glory

a ridge farm gas cooker, a joe meek mic pre/compressor and my samson power amp. sounds great...

anyone else want to share ?

Edited by ahpook

I'll have to see if I still have pics of some of my own 'franken rigs' from the past.

I used to run an Ebs compressor into an MXR M-80 into a Stereo digital EQ then into my TC Electronics GForce then into a Powersoft 2004 power amp. The signal path was a bit more in depth as I had a second channel of clean EQ'd bass running side by side with the dirty. This signal path has been carried through all of my set ups for years... but yesterday, in a moment of madness my rig has slimmed down to just my MarkBass F1 and TC.. Off to a gig tonight to try out my simplified system to see if I like it or not! GULP!!!

Incidently, I used to have a very simple rig that I loved.. I used a BK Electronics power amp module (that you can easily fit into a cabimet to make it active (Like thise Bergantino powered cabs) and drove the amp with my M-80. I went to rehearsals with one bass, one cab and one pedal ;o) It was an awesome little rig!

hmmm....interesting - i like the idea of the two signal paths...i'd never thought of that

i've put my ebs microbass straight into my samson power amp and got some great sounds at home .as you say, i guess it's only one step away from preamp pedal >> powered speaker.

a think a chap over at ebassist used to do that.