Why become a member? ×

Empty cab maker

Pookus

Does anyone know of a cab maker? I want two empty 4x10 cabs. I currently have a mighty Ashdown 810 which is great, but being the size of a fridge freezer isn't the easiest thing to lug around. What I want are 2 cabs with the right dimensions to match the speakers. I can solder the speakers up myself. Thanks

having made loads of cabinets in the past, I suspect that by the time you have actually paid someone for the materials [plywood, covering, handles, sockets, grill cloth, corner protectors,] plus labour and his profit, you would find it cheaper to sell yours and buy a couple of second hand 4x10s

Many years ago i foolishly cut an acoustic 406 2x15 cab in half, so I could get in in my car

Edited by bumnote

[quote name='bumnote' post='366251' date='Dec 30 2008, 02:29 PM']having made loads of cabinets in the past, I suspect that by the time you have actually paid someone for the materials [plywood, covering, handles, sockets, grill cloth, corner protectors,] plus labour and his profit, you would find it cheaper to sell yours and buy a couple of second hand 4x10s

Many years ago i foolishly cut an acoustic 406 2x15 cab in half, so I could get in in my car[/quote]

I could also make the cabs myself - I have the technology! Good advice about cost of someone else doing it so I will probably go down the DIY route. I can leave the Asdown cab intact so operation is reversable. All I need is to source cabinet furniture. My carpentry skills are pretty good so I will probably keep the plywood finish with a bit of varnish and some nice hardware. Thanks for your useful advice.

[quote name='bumnote' post='366279' date='Dec 30 2008, 02:49 PM']Very rewarding if you do

I made a pair for a guitar playing friend some years ago, charged him the cost of materials only he still has them[/quote]

Yeah homemade gear is pretty cool too. I like Ashdown gear for its sound etc but not its looks. I wont mind losing the Ashdown cab.

[quote name='Protium' post='366393' date='Dec 30 2008, 04:53 PM']Try building your own, great fun, great end product and lots of people on here who can help you.[/quote]

I will do that. Just need to figure out how to set up my router to cut 10inch holes. I'm fine with making the boxes. Also I will use a cab design program to calculate the cab volume. Might even port the cabs. I may well ask for that advice. Thanks, really appreciate your help.

[quote name='Pookus' post='366416' date='Dec 30 2008, 05:20 PM']I will do that. Just need to figure out how to set up my router to cut 10inch holes. I'm fine with making the boxes. Also I will use a cab design program to calculate the cab volume. Might even port the cabs. I may well ask for that advice. Thanks, really appreciate your help.[/quote]

Trend make a router compass that cuts perfect circles, and i bought one a few years ago. Its pretty easy to use. Youll also need a universal base plate. But it is as i say very easy to use.

Matt

Edited by Absolute-beginner

[quote name='Pookus' post='366416' date='Dec 30 2008, 05:20 PM']Just need to figure out how to set up my router to cut 10inch holes.[/quote]

This is how I do it, using part of the side fence. Just remember to screw the centre pin all the way through into the supporting piece, otherwise it will go all wobbly when you complete the circle!

[attachment=17863:DSCF0001.JPG]

[quote name='andyonbass' post='366494' date='Dec 30 2008, 06:43 PM']This is how I do it, using part of the side fence. Just remember to screw the centre pin all the way through into the supporting piece, otherwise it will go all wobbly when you complete the circle!

[attachment=17863:DSCF0001.JPG][/quote]

You are a router guru - thanks