Why become a member? ×

Help = Jack Repair needed!

alexbartman

Help please - i was planning to invest in a new guitar but recent economic pressures means that has to be put on hold....so I have to turn to emergency home repair.
I have a 1980's Hohner Jack bass which has active pickups selected by a switch on the body....only thing is, they do not work, when the switch is in the "passive" position its just about OK (a little crackly) but the active does not work at all - obviously I have put a new 9V battery in....
Im pretty sure the jack socket is loose - a week ago, I could get the active LED to light if I manipulated the lead in the socket - although this has now stopped working.
The socket does feel very loose when I put the plug in...so, can I buy a replacement socket - and what exactly do I need to buy (and where can I buy it from online in the UK) to fix the problem - I have had a look on ebay but cant find anything suitable - I'm hopeing these replacement parts are pretty standard - this bass is never going to be a collectors piece, so no need to go overboard!!!
Help please - very grateful for it!!!
Alex

You may find the jack socket just needs taking apart, cleaning with emery paper, then refitting, tightening again, saves hunting for a new one. When you take it off you will see if there is any obvious problem like loose wire or dirty/bent contacts.

Edited by Al Heeley

[quote name='alexbartman' post='365311' date='Dec 29 2008, 09:20 AM']Help please - i was planning to invest in a new guitar but recent economic pressures means that has to be put on hold....so I have to turn to emergency home repair.

Alex[/quote]

Alex, if you fill your profile in there maybe a friendly and helpful BCer near to you that can help you thru this...!

Bob.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='alexbartman' post='365624' date='Dec 29 2008, 05:42 PM']Ok - Ive done it now - I have managed to break the wires that connect to the jack....can anyopne recommend a good (and hopefully reasonable) guitar repairer in Hertfordshire or N London (UK of course!!)
..Now Im desperate!![/quote]

I used to be the guitar tech for Hohner from 1983 to 1989. I may still have some bits for these; active circuit boxes, etc. Contact me if I can be of any help..

If you are in Herts you aren't far from Northants, I think. Try Dave Farmiloe in Wellingborough.

I can PM you his e-mail address.