Why become a member? ×

Wizard Thumper pickups

clash33

Hi all, and Merry Christmas,
I have a Squire P bass that I love the feel of but have found the pickups to be a bit lacking, I would quite like to use this bass to gig with and wonder if a new set of Seymour Duncan SPB-1 would make it a better bass or will I notice little difference to the standard pickups. I use a Yamaha 414 most of the time witch has hot pickups and makes the Squire seem quiet.
What do you think, is it worth spending £50 :)

Edited by clash33

Your username and avatar give me the impression that you're not shy of a bit of punch , tone wise - so I'd think more about a Duncan quarterpounder , or the Wizard Thumper. You'll get more output from these and a less vintage sound. Yes , you'll notice a difference.

I've not had experience of the Thumper but they're raved about in these parts - the Jazz 84's I had from Wizard were fab. I do have SDQPs in my Precisions and it's they're dogs for me

Other aftermarket pickups are available :)

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='363628' date='Dec 26 2008, 12:51 PM']I've not had experience of the Thumper but they're raved about in these parts - the Jazz 84's I had from Wizard were fab. I do have SDQPs in my Precisions and it's they're dogs for me

Other aftermarket pickups are available :)[/quote]

Anyone got Wizard Thumpers in a P bass, what are they like?

Here's a bunch of us rattling on about Wizards.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=116&hl=wizard+thumper"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...=wizard+thumper[/url]

Mostly about Jazz pups but there are refs to Thumpers , also you can use the search function to look through previous threads.

Have got my new pups and fitted them today. The tone is great and is nice and even across all for strings, however I do seem to be down on volume from what I had before, not sue if this could be down to my poor soldering or just how they should be ? what do you think

[quote name='clash33' post='367076' date='Dec 31 2008, 01:53 PM']That's what I thought, but it sounds nice! looks like rip down and start again :)[/quote]

Well re soldered all joints and reset pickup height, sounds good - great tone - even the wife said it sounded nice! So must wait for next practice to match it against my 414 for volume, fingers crosed

When I fitted my Thumper I spoke to Andy at Wizard. As it was a complete build up from a donor Bass he suggested using different Pot values and Capacitor.
May be worth having a chat and see what he says.
The Thumpers are certainly hotter than standard Fender, (and I assume Squire), pick-ups.

[quote name='clash33' post='369713' date='Jan 4 2009, 01:36 AM']Thanks for advice, I have sent Andy an email for his thoughts.
At the moment I am still down on volume and up in humming and buzzing although the tone is nice and even.

:huh:[/quote]

Andy was great, asked me to return them for a free check out, although he could find no fault he sent out a new set. Now it could well be down to my poor fitting but this set are silent. All is good, looking forwards to next rehersal so I can give them a good blast. Thanks Andy. I recommend Wizard too. ;) :P :)