Why become a member? ×

TH500 vs EBS HD350

JuliusGroove

Hey guys,I've been using Aguilar for some years now and love the tone, but I just find it doesn't always keep up and find my clip light on quite a lot.. I know this doesn't actually damage the amp and isn't a warning like normal clip lights, more of a tone thing, but the signal obviously disorts somewhat and doesn't deliver the volume I need. I'm running it into two Aguilar DB112 (8ohms - 300w) cabs.

I recently sat in at a friends gig where he was using an EBS HD350 with a singular Barefaced 1x12 and it sounded modern, thick and just HUGE. Do people think this has more to do with the head or the cab? I've seen an EBS HD350 up for sale and I'm wondering if, despite the lower wattage, it will be paired nicer with the cabs? Or have peopled found the DB Aguilar range to be quieter than other cabs?

Thanks!

The DB112 cabs sound fantastic and they can lap up power from big amps.  My old rig was a SVP-CL preamp into a Warwick Hellborg power amp into one or two DB112s. It sounded epic.  The DB112 is a lovely sounding vintage voiced cab that can punch with the best of them, if you have the right amp driving it.  I would keep your cabs, I miss mine.

I also used the Tonehammer for a long time, and whilst good sounding DI and reliable operation, it didn’t deliver at higher volumes. It was replaced by the Ampeg/Warwick system, which while also producing 500w was a completely different level of punch and presence.  Now I’m using a Quilter BB800 which seems to be a good half way house, as it’s got a good amount if balls, but is easy to transport like the Tonehammer.

you could buy a second hand EBS HD350 and always move it on if you don’t get on with it?

I used to run a TH500 into 2 Berg AE112's and was louder than a loud thing. Then I ran it into 2 Super Compacts and it was even louder. 

I did need more volume so I now use an AG700. That's the bottom line, whatever you are using, if you get to the stage where you need more volume the answer is always a more powerful amp. 

8 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I used to run a TH500 into 2 Berg AE112's and was louder than a loud thing. Then I ran it into 2 Super Compacts and it was even louder. 

I did need more volume so I now use an AG700. That's the bottom line, whatever you are using, if you get to the stage where you need more volume the answer is always a more powerful amp. 

I would respectfully disagree.  A more efficient speaker enclosure, or simply more speaker surface area will move more air and produce more volume than just throwing more watts at a cab.

I admit that you can go seriously loud nowadays with compact setups, like the Tonehammer 500 DB112x2 setup mentioned. It sounded to me that the OP is having problems with the power delivery of the TH500.  In my experience it was really loud, but loose at the volumes I needed to play at.

To answer the OP’s question directly: I would try another head (not necessarily one with more watts) to see if that new amp can handle the volume you need in a more controlled and effortless manner.