Why become a member? ×

Valve amp power upgrade project

Quilly

Hi Folks

Looking for another project and I think this might be one. A few months ago I picked up a 90s 50W carlsbro guitar valve head for very small money, for fun. I decided to use it as a home practice amp for bass and really surprised with the result and has a surprising amount of low end grunt and its really smooth. I have it for sale but really nobody is interested in it as a guitar amp, I think that market is saturated so I'm considering holding onto it, because I really like the sound from it.  I was wondering if the amp could be beefed up to 100W and made into a serious gigging bass amp? (not that I need one as I already have a CTM-100!)

I've read in a few other forums that it might not be worth the hassle. It has 4 * 12AX7 valves in the preamp stage and 2 * EL34s at power stage. could I experiment with KT77s , 6L6s? Wouild I need now power/output transformers ? I'm wondering what my options are and if its worth it (is it even possible).   

And upgrading the amp from 50 to 100 W can barely be heard. You need more loudness, the output should go from 50 to 500 watts. Lots of different tubes/valves and a completely new design. Make your life easier and turn to Mesa 400+.

Amp is just an amp. It can drive bass cab or a g-word cab with ease. Eq may be different but the basics are the same. Cabs on the other hand may have lots of constraints because of the design of the element and the box.