Why become a member? ×

'73 Precision

bigthumb

I've had my '73 for a few months now and I must start 'using' it really. It never leaves the house which is a bit sad really. Now I've looked at other Precisions from the same era and what I've noticed is the positioning of the neck plate. On some there is, or what looks like up to 5mm from the 'F' plate to the edge of the body where on my one there is hardly any wood at all. Now I've looked at American ebay listings of old Precisions with the bass dismantled and theres no question that the body's not original. Incedently there's another black P-bass of the same year that is the same. Did they make bodies back then in different sizes? There's a lot of difference between this one and my '78, the '78 is bigger and a lot heavier.

Here's some pics. It would be nice to know what the Fender experts make of this. :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='359568' date='Dec 20 2008, 01:42 PM']Nice bass!

That is unusual, but your plate has the plastic 'cushion' under it which maybe makes the gap look smaller than it is...[/quote]

Very true! As a matter of interest, how thick is the body of your '73?