Why become a member? ×

P-Bass assemblies

Henrythe8

Hello y'all. 

I had a few assemblies already made, usually involving cheap Harley Benton/Stagg/Squier parts. Feeling pretty much secure with this level of craftmanship, I found a Japanese P-bass body, one of the crappy style I like as it has already been stripped, refinished in red NitroCell, used, and then resprayed with Daphne Blue, then played again. The result besing a relic'd Daphné Blue over red with the distinctive crackling of the Nitro finish. 

I had a very precise idea of the neck and had to buy it from Warmoth, as I wanted a reverse Tele P bass, non maple fretboard. I went a bit over the top as I ordered a Roasted Maple neck, Goncal Alves fretboard, mandolin Stainless Stell frets and Turquoise dots. 

The big surprise was when I received the neck, as I did not expect such a frivolously figured fretboard... 

I already had a heavily modified P-Bass assembled from a Harley Benton kit. The aim is to strip the Harley Benton from all the great parts (Hipshot Lollipop Tuners, DiMarzio Model One, Fender CustomShop '59 P Pickup), and install those on the new build, and recycling the HB kit with a Twin EMG P-Bass setup. 

For Bridges I have two "Epiphone Japan" string-through bridges, both solid brass. 

Pictures will follow 🙂 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

So, first bass is done. (I'll upload pics ASAP). 

It's been quite the effing nightmare, and I'm not too proud of what lies underneath the covers. 

I made a lot of rookie mistakes, as the body, Neck and bridges were from different origins. First assembly left me with a misaligned bridge, and strings that were not centered on the neck and pickups. OF course, it's a string through bridge. And OF COURSE, the holes were already drilled. 

The Routing for the DiMarzio was, then misaligned, so I had to redo a bit. 

Anyway, it's been sorted out, now, and after a quick setup it's... Wow. Great sounding. Very P-bassish with a load of oumph. with the DiMarzio.

Te Warmoth neck is truly a great buy, well worth the money. Installed on the bass, I didn't even had to use the trussrod. o_0 

Onto the next one, now, with a single EMG P pickup and EMG BTC, simple straightforward active P-Bass.