Why become a member? ×

best clip on

jimmybass04

hi there, anyone had any experience with the audio technica atm 350 mic for double bass, i want to mic my upright.
i v got a realist fitted witch i feel is ok at low volumes,but want the true accoustic sound to shine through.
i will use two mackies to reproduce the mic sound out front, and use my eden with a 1x12 for a backline.
i,v seen some one use a sm57 tied on to the bass , any one tried this, need a good loud authentic sound to compete with guitar drums piano, is there no easy answere to this age old problem, maybe not ?
im sure everyone goes through the same i cant hear myself(tuning) problem
cheers.

I've got an ATM350 but haven't yet gigged it - you could say it's in development. My first impressions are that it's quite good. There are no doubt better/more expensive ones but this clip-on is so convenient. You can clip it in an f-hole (might damage the finish) or suspend it from the bridge somehow (I've made a lightweight bracket). If you like, and give me a a bit of time to sort it out, I could attach a photo. It seems to work best pointing up under the fingerboard, on the centreline.

PA out front is a must to avoid feedback and here is the problem. If you're doing a big noisy gig you won't need the subtleties of the mic. If you're doing, eg, a jazz trio where the mic will be great there may not be PA. So to get over this I'm putting together my own mini PA with a single 10" Wizzy and separate Clarus amp and separate backline monitoring. Bit of hassle but probably worth it.

Hope this helps and good luck.

[quote name='jimmybass04' post='359358' date='Dec 20 2008, 01:55 AM']i,v seen some one use a sm57 tied on to the bass , any one tried this, need a good loud authentic sound to compete with guitar drums piano, is there no easy answere to this age old problem, maybe not ?
im sure everyone goes through the same i cant hear myself(tuning) problem
cheers.[/quote]

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482357"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482357[/url]

I use this and it works quite well blended with my Revolution 2 into an Art Tube pre then to the house.

Cheap and cheerful.

Have a look at Bob Gollihur's site - he's selling a new(ish) mic holder/bracket that allows you to use any mike (?) without damage to your bass. Again n good for loud situations, but doesn't tie you to a particular microphone. I'm sure there's also plenty of discussion on Talkbass...