Why become a member? ×

Advice for first upgrade

Andyalfa

I was thinking of changing/updrading the hardware on my old Hohner Professional JJ bass, partly as an experiment and partly to use as a backup/alternative to my main Precision.

Currently, it has two active jazz style pickups which are powered by a 9v preamp. This has two volume controls and a stacked bass/treble knob. There’s also a handy toggle switch for active/passive and a little light to tell me if it’s on. I had a close look at the pickups the other night, and the faint writing on them seemed to say Select design (which I thought was by EMG, but maybe not). Anyway, I’d like to replace all of the electronics with something newer, which gives a nice warm, clean sound as opposed to the dirtier, rockier tone of my precision. Any thoughts would be welcome. At the moment, I have my eye on an EMG J set for around £160.

I’d also like to swap the tatty old bridge with something that looks better, has more adjustment and gives better sustain (without going the through body route, I don’t want to do too much drilling). One in matt black would be nice too, but isn’t essential. Once again, any hints or tips would be useful. I’ve seen a sexy looking Leo Quan badass bridge which looks like it might fit the bill and a similar one by Schaller. Any recommendations?

I thought the Selects were passive? I may well be wrong though. This would open up many more options... Try [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=Search&CODE=show&searchid=c00cf2fd7121a4c22571df49440cafce&search_in=titles&result_type=topics&highlite=%2Bjazz+pickups"]here[/url] for a start. I had Wizard 84's in me Geddy Lee & loved 'em.

The BadAss II is a cracking bridge, but I think the Gotoh 201 has a few fans on here. And a bunch of others too!

Good luck.

[quote name='Andyalfa' post='357956' date='Dec 18 2008, 02:55 PM']I was thinking of changing/updrading the hardware on my old Hohner Professional JJ bass, partly as an experiment and partly to use as a backup/alternative to my main Precision.

Currently, it has two active jazz style pickups which are powered by a 9v preamp. This has two volume controls and a stacked bass/treble knob. There’s also a handy toggle switch for active/passive and a little light to tell me if it’s on. I had a close look at the pickups the other night, and the faint writing on them seemed to say Select design (which I thought was by EMG, but maybe not). Anyway, I’d like to replace all of the electronics with something newer, which gives a nice warm, clean sound as opposed to the dirtier, rockier tone of my precision. Any thoughts would be welcome. At the moment, I have my eye on an EMG J set for around £160.

I’d also like to swap the tatty old bridge with something that looks better, has more adjustment and gives better sustain (without going the through body route, I don’t want to do too much drilling). One in matt black would be nice too, but isn’t essential. Once again, any hints or tips would be useful. I’ve seen a sexy looking Leo Quan badass bridge which looks like it might fit the bill and a similar one by Schaller. Any recommendations?[/quote]

It really depends upon whether the bass is a keeper. If you're happy with the neck and the general all round feel and construction of it and you're not intending selling it on then modding is valid. However, the amount of money you could spend on mods (those EMGs you mention plus a BA) and you're well on the way to the cost of a decent used bass off here.

If you want to get experience with modding then that's fine too, just remember that you're on a hiding to nothing, financially speaking. You will not get your money back whether you try to sell the modded bass as a whole or returning the bass to stock and selling the upgrade parts seperately.

Both bridges are good, the Badass is a direct replacement for a Fender bridge, no drilling required, but who knows for a Hohner. For pickups, try to listen to SD's, Bartolini, Wizard as well as the EMG's and don't forget an East pre amp. Watch out though, you could end up with a better sounding bass than your Fender!!

The bass is definitely a keeper. I've had it for 10+ years now, and it was secondhand then. As it was my first "proper" bass, it has a certain sentimental value, but not so much that I have any qualms about hacking it about a bit. It's got a lovely feel and the wood finish is delightful, it's just the hardware I feel needs an update. That way, I might play it more rather than have it gathering dust in the corner.

I'll have another close look tonight to see if it really does say "select". The lettering is very worn and faint, and my eyesight isn't briliant close up.