Why become a member? ×

Picking up bass after 9 year break

henry norton

Hello there, I've recently picked up my bass again after leaving it in the spare room for the past 9 years or so. (the three kids are just about old enough to let me practice in peace now). I've owned 3 Jazz basses (2 fretless), a Musicman stingray 4 and a Stingray 5, an early 80s JV Squier Precision and a couple of home made (custom built!) basses. I only have the Precision left now, which suits me fine, apart from the fact that they're frighteningly valuable these days. It has a Schaller J pickup added in the bridge position, Schaller 3D bridge, one of those hideous cream coloured Di Marzio P pickups in place of the original, a brass nut and straplocks. My first bass amp (after my mums stereo) was a 10" Peterson followed by some Trace Elliot gear, EV speakers and finally an Alligator 2x8" combo. I don't have an amp at the moment so I'm amplifying my bass by jamming the headstock against the wardrobe doors. My wife has promised me a Behringer V-amp for my birthday though....

I've owned a bass guitar for 22 years now and am really looking forward to getting into it again - hopefully I'll get some inspiration from these pages.

Welcome - I am not dissimilar, three kids, also a bedroom bassist until three years ago ... then I ventured out and blagged my way into a band and haven't looked back

BC is a wicked forum full of knowledgeable and friendly people ... and a great way to burn loads of moolah buying and selling gear!

You will enjoy it here unless your name is jakebass (don't ask) :)

Thanks for the reply clarky - I'm not ready to start gigging again just yet but playing live was always where it was for me. Maybe after I've finished my barn conversion, rebuilt my motorbike, sorted out a new driveway, build my garage, oh yeah, and fixed that buzz on my old precision...... There just never seems to be enough time in the day.

Sounds like me about eight or nine years ago when I restarted playing bass after a ten year gap.

I'm now in two bands, one of which gigs regularly and has released a CD of original songs.

When I got back into bass I had an '81 Precision and a Hohner B2A "cricket bat". I now have far too many basses according to the missus including fretless, upright, shortscale and rubber-stringed very short scale fretless.