Why become a member? ×

Swr sm500 Problems!

AKA

Hi everyone, 

Having an issue with my swr sm 500 bass amp or possibly my speaker cab, I noticed as I was setting up my gear for a gig last Friday evening the speaker cab, which is an swr 4 x 10 Goliath 3 cab, started to fart and splutter a bit when I played my Bass. At first I thought it may be the central tweeter on the speaker cab, but after 5 mins it cleared and seemed ok again, I turned my amp off to finish setting up, then turned it on again and the same thing happened, i’m glad to say that it was ok for the gig and I didn’t notice any distortion or spluttering coming from the cab. I’m thinking maybe an amp problem, possibly a valve, the amp has a preamp valve in it, would a dodgy valve cause this sort of problem? Or maybe something more serious in the amp or even maybe the central tweeter on the cab? Anyone else experienced similar? Thanks in advance! 

Drew. 

Good chance its just dirt on contacts.   With the amp unplugged form the mains, put some switch cleaner on a jack plug and push in/out a few times - do this on the input sockets (including the one you don't use) as well as the effects loop send and return.  Also the speaker jack (if it isn't a Speakon).   Check all your cables...especially the speaker cable.   

7 hours ago, BassBod said:

Good chance its just dirt on contacts.   With the amp unplugged form the mains, put some switch cleaner on a jack plug and push in/out a few times - do this on the input sockets (including the one you don't use) as well as the effects loop send and return.  Also the speaker jack (if it isn't a Speakon).   Check all your cables...especially the speaker cable.   

Ok I will try that, I’ve got some switch cleaner kicking about, I did try a few leads and also going direct into the amp n not via my Di box that I generally plug into, but was all the same so I’m thinking amp or speaker really, thanks I’ll let you know how it goes 👍

Well Bassbod! I thought I’d check  the 2 speakon cables that I have first, n like you mentioned! And bingo!  1 of them was faulty n giving me the problems that I had at my last gig, so not as bad as I was thinking, a new cable will sort that problem out, many thanks for the help, I also cleaned all the Jack inputs etc too as I hadn’t done that for a while, so all good here 👍  

• Like 1