Why become a member? ×

Live mixer questions

paul_c2

We already have an Alto TX212, have been using it for 6 months and done 3 gigs with it; and its served a number of rehearsals and is well-travelled too (for a while we didn't have secure storage, so it came home with me after each regular rehearsal). Obviously it is much cheaper than the equivalent TS model, which is obviously part of the attraction. And its plenty loud enough, we are not limited by its power, but the limit is more to do with feedback.

Hence, why I am considering a TX208 or three as monitors - I know the power rating is lower; and that the figures need interpreting properly, rather than believing too strongly in a power rating (especially if its a headline peak power). This isn't a rock band, we don't need thousands of watts of power; more a decent sound quality, reliability (hence why we'll buy new and be able to return/replace/etc) and a nice spread of sound amongst the large number of people to alleviate the problems faced so far. In fact, 3x B205 appeals too - they really do belt out the sound given their compact size, but the bass isn't really there and we can afford the space of a slightly larger unit now too.

Also I'm aware that the TX212 isn't directly equivalent to the TS312 anyway - one claims 300W/600W (RMS/peak) while the other claims 1000W/2000W. (And the TX208 vs TS308 is 140W/300W vs 1000W/2000W). 

I did go to a local music shop but unfortunately they didn't have a TX208 in stock, so I was unable to look at it (or buy it) - but that was for a slightly different use case, when I was looking for some speakers for my laptop - with the appropriate cable, it would have connected no problems.

• 6 months later...

Bit of an update - on Wednesday the Behringer B205 blew up (well, not spectacularly, but it has stopped outputting sound out of its speaker - it still mixes and sends it out the XLR though). So I'm progressing a warranty return/refund and I've bought the following:

Behringer X1222USB (6 XLR inputs and a few more 1/4" jack ones too)
Alto TX208

Storage space and money (fortunately not my own money) are limited, so I didn't 'stretch' to a bigger mixer, but with the foreseeable gigs coming up and the additional requirement to put the piano/keyboard through the PA, it will do the job. Now I have the 208 in the flesh, its a really handy size and can be pointed upwards as a wedge too. 

I know the X1222USB only has 1 pre-fade out (but has an additional post-fade too, if needs be) but with the limited amount of stuff going through, it should be okay.