Why become a member? ×

When The Gas Runs Out

stewblack

Well i defeated GAS today. Sort of.

Have a vague feeling that an acoustic bass is essential to my well being (guitarists fault, says he wants to go 'unplugged').

Went to brum and folky place Hobgoblin Music. All a bit beyond my budget, but a tried a fretless one but was boggled by dot markers that are between the fret positions not on the fret (like my own fretless). This meant I could only play it in tune by not looking at the fingerboard at all, which was an odd and rather unreliable experience. Fortunately not plugged in. Next tried an Ashbory with rubber strings, but at about 16-18" scale length it was far to small for my fat fingers. Then tried a fretted one, which was actually very nice to play and even got offered a hefty discount (I asked as the heavily tarnished but bright sounding strings suggest (a) they'd been in the shop a long time and (b) they haven't been tried out much... if numbers count they make their money on ukes and mandolins - and cajons).

Then walked o PMT, which has moved half a mile up the road... tried an Ibanez, which was very nice and would fit my budget, but a bit lacking in presence and a funny finish that feels more like plastic than wood... Was tuned down to Eb and I was left wondering if it was happier tuned down.

Then an Alvarez which was a nicer guitar to play and feel (but not as nice to look at). They made me plug them in and seemed happy for me to give them both an extended thrashing (probably because I didn't slap them...)_ very persuasive and also perceptive about the two guitars good and not so good points. Very relieved I didn't risk asking for a go of the surf-green ("sea foam green") Ibanez Artcore semi-acoustic. Loads of other basses to look at from the gorgeous to the stomach churning - some really ugly basses by Fender and Sandberg (as well as many lovely ones by the same brands...). Even some cheap s/h things including a death metals thing for £100...

Fortunately awareness that my latest invoice won't be paid for a few weeks prevailed! I escaped with a fourth Fender strap for my collection.... does that count as a minor GAS attack or a narrow escape?

That's a narrow escape.  I love Hobgoblin, I work in Brindley Place and it's an easy destination for a lunchtime walk, but I'd never buy anything there. I think their motto should be something like "Hobgoblin, when 12 strings just isn't enough".

Hope to go to PMT tomorrow to look at live mixing desks 

38 minutes ago, Richard R said:

That's a narrow escape.  I love Hobgoblin, I work in Brindley Place and it's an easy destination for a lunchtime walk, but I'd never buy anything there. I think their motto should be something like "Hobgoblin, when 12 strings just isn't enough".

Hope to go to PMT tomorrow to look at live mixing desks 

They had some fun looking ukes, but fortunately when I saw the string configuration I came out in a rash.