Beer of the Bass

Dynacord Eminent II valve head, modified for bass SOLD
£225
Edinburgh

70s Dynacord Eminent II amplifier.  This is a valve powered amplifier originally intended for PA use, using a pair of EL34 run at high voltages for a rated output of 80 watts.  In stock form the amp had a four channel transistor preamp, and was built to be very clean and linear sounding.  The perspex front panel has green lights behind it, so it's quite stylish in a kitschy way!  
I have modified the amp by removing two of the transistor preamp channels and building a preamp based on a late 60s Ampeg B15n using a 6sl7 valve.  This is the four black controls on the right of the front panel.  I used a high voltage FET stage to match the output and impedance requirements of the 6sl7 preamp to the power amp section of the Dynacord, but the signal path for this bypasses all of the original transistor preamp circuitry.  I have also rebuilt the power amp with new filter capacitors and a new pair of JJ E34L valves, and set the bias to suit them.  The two original input channels and their master volume and EQ are still functional too. 
With the Ampeg style preamp, it provides a very pleasing classic bass sound, and would be a good addition to a retro-minded studio or for moderate volume live use.  It doesn't provide heavily overdriven sounds, but with the preamp gain turned up it does a great subtle breakup that thickens up the sound nicely, and it also has a nice range of clean bass tones.  It's quiet in terms of background noise too.  
It's relatively compact for a valve head, and comes with a well used but useful ABS flight case to carry it in.  It has impedance selectors on the back panel to run 4, 8 or 16 ohm cabs.  

DSC_0000_BURST20190417104209914.JPG

DSC_0003_BURST20190417104229904.JPG

20170307_131338.jpg

Edited by Beer of the Bass
SOLD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CalDeep said:

Is the DI still functional? 

It doesn't have a standard XLR DI output - the 1V line level output on the back panel is a summed output of the original preamp channels, and is on an obscure 3-pin DIN connector so I haven't tried it.  It appears to be intended for connecting other Dynacord gear of the same era in a slave setup. 

But the 6sl7 preamp channel that I added is mixed in after this stage, so wouldn't be present on this socket anyway. 

For a DI output from this head, a speaker-level DI box connected to a spare speaker output should give decent results.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

I used to love those Dynacord valve amps. I had several vintage ones from the early 60s, all  built (as you'd expect) like a tank.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Joebethell
      Up for trade or at a push sale is my Little B. It's a cracking little amp that's just sitting on my cab not getting the use it deserves. I'm hoping to get out and gigging once all the madness is over so will be looking for a head with a bit more than the 30watts ideally valve again but open to my options. Good condition hardly used since I have had it really not in a rush and will be happy to keep it if I find a bargain or until the right trade comes along 
      The Little Bastard preamp stage employs ECC83 and ECC82 tubes and features High and Low gain inputs, front panel-mounted Effects Send and Return, rotary Bass, Middle and Treble controls with Mid Shift, Bass Shift and Bright switching, Mute switch, rotary Volume control and balanced DI output.
      Ideally hoping to trade up with a little cash towards but would consider sale if the right thing doesnt turn up or may keep if I find something at the right price.  Straight Sale price would be looking for £400.
      would be looking ideally for a valve head of 100watts plus or maybe a mesa walkabout. Some of my past amps include to give you the idea. 
      Mesa d180 
      Mesa walkabout 
      Marshall VBA400
      Traynor YBA300 
      Trace Elliot VType combo 

• By d_g
      I'm looking to move on my Sansamp BD Deluxe Programmable DI - great sound, I just don't need all the programmable functions. Never gigged and in pretty much as new condition.
      Would consider trades with cash either way for a Sansamp BDDI V2, or some of the similar Darkglass Pedals.
      £160 posted in the UK
      Any questions, give me a shout
      Thanks
      Dan

added photos

• By warwickhunt
      I owned one of these back when they were new and just released, I bought this particular amp off a fellow BCer as a back-up and out of nostalgia.  It's as good as I remember but seeing as how I've now got 4 amps... I don't need 3 back-ups!  The amp had a new power switch and service done when I bought it.  
      Lots of info on the internet re. these professional level amps.  Please don't confuse this with the Basskick series, these are a step above and really are the mutts nuts.  No class D power ratings just old school transformers and bags of power/volume... though you can practice in silence through the headphone output. 
      600w (RMS) into 4 ohms though it will operate at 2 ohms with 1.000 watt.  Features a dual-channel tube-driven preamp, with a Varimetric EQ and a notch filter which is useful if plugging in an acoustic bass and you want to dial out unwanted resonances.
      DI is transformer balanced with ground lift switch.
      MIDI optional MSM-1 - you can buy a plug and go midi module from H&K that gives access to a wealth of options.  
      Effects Loop serial
      Footswitch/Stageboard Stageboard; switching Functions EQ on/off, A, B input (not included)
      I really don't want to run the risk of damage in transit, so collection or sensible meet up point is the way forward (NE England).  Sorry I really don't need any gear as a trade.

• By ricksterphil
      FOR SALE ONLY Glockenklang Blue Rock £850.00 
      I'm probably going to regret this but up for sale is my Glockenklang Blue Rock head with gig bag
      This is an awesome bit of kit so I'm not sure why I'm selling it except that I've just bought an Ashdown ABM 600 off here to get a bit of tube warmth into my sound and cos @walshy reckons the ABM 600 through a Barefaced Super 12 sounds mint (I have this cab so thought - what the hey)
      Photos to follow but for now here's the thread for my purchase from this very parish
      Courier at cost - it will be super well packed. I have the rack ears btw
      My pics