Why become a member? ×

my customs

Ou7shined

[quote name='Shockwave' post='515286' date='Jun 16 2009, 01:43 PM']Hey any updates on the 5 string? Would love to see it sorted 100% :)[/quote]
Not really. I keep getting side tracked onto other things. My living-room is like a bloody workshop these days :blush:

[attachment=27162:workshop.jpg]

I dealt with the neck issues (or rather neck pocket issues - aaaaah nobody thought about looking there :D) a while back - so that's all good now. I rubbed the dodgy varnish back to bare wood at the same time. some people have since commented on the nice "satin" finish - until I tell them there's no finish at all, it's just bare maple rubbed back with 1500 grade. I love the natural look but I'm constantly humming and hawing about staining it either dark blue or green. I routed and filled the truss rod access groove then veneered the face of the headstock in maple to match the body.

[attachment=27163:5_string_heastock.jpg]

I did a TR cover [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=50663"]here[/url] not long ago and I'm currently procrastinating over a pickguard because I noticed a few fingernail marks appearing from slapping. I've been playing about with paper templates and have settled with something along these lines.........

[attachment=27161:pg_idea4.jpg]

..... but I'll extend the bottom bit up into lower horn a tad more and I'll take the top hump forward somewhere in line with the 16th fret i think. I've got some nice matt black pg material but I might go with clear if the black is too imposing.

I don't know if you knew but I broke the bridge pup (or more correctly my hefty 40w soldering iron did) so currently I have a set of massively powerful Hohner pups in there (courtesy of our own Geoff Byrne's 5er). They are nice but lack that boutique feel that this bass deserves. I lapped them to a shiny finish because of how knackered they were and they look way better than the Barts ever did. I'm thinking about making maple veneers for them too but I know these pups won't be staying in here too long so I might not bother.

[attachment=27164:Hohner_p...reborn_2.jpg]

That's about it really. :rolleyes:

edit : Oh yeah, I'm considering making it headless too. :lol:

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='515367' date='Jun 16 2009, 03:20 PM']Not really. I keep getting side tracked onto other things. My living-room is like a bloody workshop these days :blush:

[attachment=27162:workshop.jpg]

I dealt with the neck issues (or rather neck pocket issues - aaaaah nobody thought about looking there ;)) a while back - so that's all good now. I rubbed the dodgy varnish back to bare wood at the same time. some people have since commented on the nice "satin" finish - until I tell them there's no finish at all, it's just bare maple rubbed back with 1500 grade. I love the natural look but I'm constantly humming and hawing about staining it either dark blue or green. I routed and filled the truss rod access groove then veneered the face of the headstock in maple to match the body.

[attachment=27163:5_string_heastock.jpg]

I did a TR cover [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=50663"]here[/url] not long ago and I'm currently procrastinating over a pickguard because I noticed a few fingernail marks appearing from slapping. I've been playing about with paper templates and have settled with something along these lines.........

[attachment=27161:pg_idea4.jpg]

..... but I'll extend the bottom bit up into lower horn a tad more and I'll take the top hump forward somewhere in line with the 16th fret i think. I've got some nice matt black pg material but I might go with clear if the black is too imposing.

I don't know if you knew but I broke the bridge pup (or more correctly my hefty 40w soldering iron did) so currently I have a set of massively powerful Hohner pups in there (courtesy of our own Geoff Byrne's 5er). They are nice but lack that boutique feel that this bass deserves. I lapped them to a shiny finish because of how knackered they were and they look way better than the Barts ever did. I'm thinking about making maple veneers for them too but I know these pups won't be staying in here too long so I might not bother.

[attachment=27164:Hohner_p...reborn_2.jpg]

That's about it really. :rolleyes:

edit : Oh yeah, I'm considering making it headless too. :lol:[/quote]

I reckon you should go with a clear guard! need to show that maple off!

I was personally gonna get some MM humbuckers in there, i reckon they'd work well with the Schack preamp. For the love of god dont make it headless, i'd have to buy it back if you did :D :)

Cheers for the update!

[quote name='Shockwave' post='516001' date='Jun 17 2009, 01:54 AM']I reckon you should go with a clear guard! need to show that maple off!

I was personally gonna get some MM humbuckers in there, i reckon they'd work well with the Schack preamp. For the love of god dont make it headless, i'd have to buy it back if you did :lol: :)

Cheers for the update![/quote]
Yup I think clear makes more sense but I'll try the bit of black I have for just now.

Good call, I've always fancied a MM bridge + Jazz neck set up... maybe one day. :brow:
I might just put a new set of Barts back in (it's pretty hard finding 5 string pups in this size) but I've had a word with Wizard to see what they can do.

I came very close to trading it a few weeks ago but couldn't part with it when it came down to the crunch. I think this bass will be with me for some time yet.... so you're safe. :rolleyes:

Cheers guys. :)

I just read the original post again. A quick update for the 4 string is that it now has been graced with Lindy Fralin pups instead of the EMG Vs. It is still my main bass and has the most bitchingest sound ever! I think I should have another look at the wiring I did when putting the LFs in, as one of the batteries only last about a month at a time.