Why become a member? ×

Let's hear it for Leicester, yaaayyy!

Andyalfa

Hi there,
I’m Andy, a fat, grey, middle aged bass guitarist based in Leicestershire, UK. I first picked up the bass back in the mid 80’s, but had a long lay off while I “grew up”. Luckily, now I’m back in the fold and I currently play in a local covers band who play pubs and functions whenever we can. We do stuff ranging from Blondie, Duffy, KT Tunstall and the Undertones through to Rainbow, The Quo and Guns N Roses.

I play a 2006 Fender USA Precision bass through an Ashdown ABM Evo II 500 combo, which proves sufficient for most venues we play. I am currently looking into taking the upright route, and am saving up for a Stagg EDB. Hopefully we’ll manage to find enough numbers for me to get to play it at gigs!

Musically, I love blues, reggae and rock, with a strong bias towards good bass players. My heroes are Jah Wobble, Bill Laswell, Norman Watt-Roy, Flea, Mark King, Noel Redding, John Entwistle and many others. Recently, I’ve been making a few tentative forays into the world of Jazz, which has opened my ears to the likes of Ray Brown, Paul Chambers, Christian McBride and Charles Mingus. Boy those guys can play.

[quote name='BassJase' post='351390' date='Dec 11 2008, 12:29 AM']I used to go out with a girl in Leicester, is the shed still open and smelling like a public toilet?
And I used to go watch live jazz bands on a sunday afternoon in the theatre cafe, aaaahh happy days..... :)[/quote]

Oh yes, the Shed is still there. Great showcase for young talent. Not that I'll ever play there, being old and talentless.