Why become a member? ×

Godin Revenge

Frank Blank

A while back I ordered a fretted Godin A4 through my local branch of PMT. It took a while to get here, the container it arrived in was delayed in port due to a customs search apparently. When it did get here I was really pleased with it but then after a few weeks I had my ‘short scale revelation’ due to playing (and subsequently buying) a Taylor GS Mini. Being the classic ‘all or nothing’ type of idiot I immediately set about selling my full scale basses. I sold the Godin to a BC user and continued my search for the pefect fretted short scale acoustic bass having filled the fretless equivalent with the Rob Allen Mouse, which is perfect. Having looked for months and months and found nothing that satisfactorily replaced the Godin I began to regret having ever parted with it so a couple of weeks back I contacted the BCr I’d sold it to just to see how they were getting on with it, turns out they didn’t get on with it and had it up for sale at Bass Direct so I took a trip up there to see if it really was as good as I remembered it... it was, so I bought it. I was very lucky, it was still immaculate, not a mark on it, great. I’ve been playing it for the last 2-3 weeks and although it’s a big change back to long scale it is worth it because imho it is unparalleled as an acoustic bass. However, it appears the bass had not forgiven me for turning my back on it. Yesterday evening I had a lesson with my excellent bass tutor, as I was packing away the Godin I got chatting to the tutor’s next pupil, I then left to drive home. I parked just down the road from Che Blank, slung the gig bag over my shoulder and started walking, suddenly the bag went light and a second later came the sickening rattle of the Godin as it clattered across the pavement. I turned round to see it lying on its back thankfully. I picked it up and shoved it back in the case, got to the house and headed for bed not really wanting to look. I gave it a full inspection this morning and it does have a few dings and scratches on the back of the body but far, far, less than I was expecting, in fact you have to look for them, bl00dy thing is built like a tank. It looks like the strap button on the bottom took the brunt of the impact before it toppled on to its back. Oddly this afternoon I parked in roughly the same spot, I happened to look down as I walked away from the car and there was my TC Electronics clip on tuner lying on the pavement where it had been for the last fourteen hours.

Not sure what the point of this post is, anyway, if @Jabba_the_gut‘s bass, wot I luv, ends up a) with me and b) being the perfect short scale fretted bass, I will then push the Godin into a lake and hurl flaming torches at it in the Uphelia style.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Davo-London said:

Do I understand you have a Rob Allen mouse bass?  How do you find it?

It’s just perfect, for me anyway. I never really got on with fretless basses generally, about the closest was actually a fretless Godin A4 that I tried in a shop once but the Mouse is king, by a country mile. Are you thinking about getting one? You are more than welcome to try mine.