Why become a member? ×

What's this Yamaha ?

edstraker123

1 hour ago, karlfer said:

BAD BITS.

2 of the clover leaf parts of the tuners rattle. Bit of Araldite should stop that. Reluctant to change as they have that torque bar that you can change tuner tension with hex key.

Tone rotary seems to do nowt, so that'll either be a Ki0Gon loom or

Did you knock the price down any for the bad bits which should have been described ?

Spend the money it looks lovely !

Get a nice tort scratchplate for it too

Edited by edstraker123

One of these, or very similar to be honest, was my first proper bass. Mine had a white slab of a neck pickup and the black neck scallops which were printed on, not carved in. I think it was a 'Special'. 

For a cheap bass it was wonderful. 

Enjoy 😎

8 hours ago, Maude said:

One of these, or very similar to be honest, was my first proper bass. Mine had a white slab of a neck pickup and the black neck scallops which were printed on, not carved in. I think it was a 'Special'. 

For a cheap bass it was wonderful. 

Enjoy 😎

They  were £600 new in '95, not exactly cheap (although the last ones got cut to around £450 apparently). One year of production, 5000 globally split between 4 colours. Mine in my avatar.

7 hours ago, MoJo said:

Another impulse purchase coming up

No Mark, interesting the price they are hoping for in Japan.

1 hour ago, karlfer said:

They  were £600 new in '95, not exactly cheap (although the last ones got cut to around £450 apparently). One year of production, 5000 globally split between 4 colours. Mine in my avatar.

Oh wow, in that case I had a bargain. Not sure when I got mine (green) but it was before my daughter was born which was May '97, sure I only paid around the £200 because I traded it in at Mansons a couple of years later for a new BBG5s which I had to add another couple of hundred which seemed a crazy amount to me at the time, young just bought a house and just had a daughter so money was tight. 

I think those two being my first and second real basses has defined how I like basses to feel/play, which is no bad thing 

Edited by Maude

On 26/02/2019 at 07:04, karlfer said:

No Mark, interesting the price they are hoping for in Japan.

No guarantee they will get it though Karl - overpriced stuff on ebay here all of the time remaining unsold .

Have you made up your mind if you are going to keep it ?

2 minutes ago, edstraker123 said:

No guarantee they will get it though Karl - overpriced stuff on ebay here all of the time remaining unsold .

Have you made up your mind if you are going to keep it ?

Karl never keeps anything for long Ed :lol:

On 27/02/2019 at 13:12, MoJo said:

Karl never keeps anything for long Ed :lol:

Comedian Mark 9_9:P

On 27/02/2019 at 13:12, edstraker123 said:

I've bought one off him before !

You are not alone Ed :biggrin:

OK, so to continue. Thorough clean, new strings, set up, replacement NOS tuner (inbound) for the slightly buggered one. Bang on £200 all in thus far. I had some fingerboard stickers from a project I never got round too & a Geddy sticker.

I have kept the white scratchplate, simple enough to put back on.

I have not as yet got the tone pot done. Not quite sure if it's failed or just doesn't give much variation. Great Precision tone as it is. Anyway, never did Hoppus or Sixx any harm :P.

002.JPG

001.JPG

Edited by karlfer