Why become a member? ×

EBS Micro Bass 3!

Guest subaudio

Hello.. Ive finally got my hands on a MB 3 & just what a disappointment!!! the sound is far thinner'compared to the MB 2.  After an  A&B comparison it doesn't for myself even come close' they have more knobs to twiddle & a reduction in sonic quality' their R&D dept must be shooting for the distortion bass sound that the metal guys use'... The components must be inferior to its predecessor' the tuner & the compression are the additional GIMMICKS although they work well       ( and so they should at this price) and along with the conversion of the drive system which appears to be the priority of the unit'..... also their is two of them for sale on this site both as new'... I rest my case

( & both are still for sale..?) 

Edited by paulo m
  • Sad 1

On 07/10/2019 at 08:45, paulo m said:

their R&D dept must be shooting for the distortion bass sound that the metal guys use'...

I quite like my MicroBass 3.  It doesn't sound metal at all - or at least the way I have mine set up.  There are two switches ('gain' and 'type') giving a total of six overdrive variants (and that's before you've even touched the 'drive' and 'tone' knobs) - how were yours set?

I'd be quite surprised if the MB3 could cop much of what the MB2 can... the EBS sound is pretty much baked in. I know their direction has changed from RnB to more Rock and Metal... but the essence of EBS seems to be in all their amp still... (although I did see they put the better sounding* HD350 preamp in the limited edition version of it's replacement).

* yes, tone is subjective, others may disagree with me.

DISCLAIMER: I have not tried the MB3 yet.. but loved the MB2.

Edited by EBS_freak

Let me be clear about my take on the microbass units' for myself the MB2 remains a superb piece of engineering & I use mine all the time on my board'  both channels together EQ pretty flat' mids 500hz with a hair of boost' tube sim engaged'  with a suggestion of drive ( I have recently aquired a Lehle Sonic Spark which is astounding for adding a tube like drive' if so desired' but that's a different unit which I strongly champion' & their bass preamp is of an unbelievable quality  also) the MB3  could not replicate this.. & the sound for myself ( which is subjective I totally agree) is Thinner!!! & sterile & doesn't have the warmth & fatness of the MB2'  earlier in this thread I stated my apprehension about this MB3 being superior too its brilliant predecessor.... & for myself it isnt'  & global sales will be its measure... Let's see..? 

Edited by paulo m
  • Like 1