Why become a member? ×

Overseas Shipping

Jamolah

Hey BC folks,

So, a gentleman in the Czech Republic is interested in buying my Warwick on eBay. He's gotten in touch with me to ask if I'm willing to arrange shipping overseas, and as far as I'm concerned if he's happy to stump up the extra groats then I'm happy to sort it for him.

Having said, I've never had any experience of sending overseas, and so I invite advice, horror stories and general grumblings from you, the BC population. I figure it's probably gonna be best to use a courier like UPS, but am still unsure about the mechanics, so any help would be appreciated.

Many tanks,

JP

i live in the Philippines and i have items shipped to me all the time, the post office dont ask for my ID anymore *lol*

here are some tips:
-ask how the item will be packed and give the seller an idea of your country's temperature

-ask for a tracking number... no tracking number after 1 week or so, make a paypal claim and NEVER lift it off until he sends you the tracking number. then check it and confirm it... if its a ? ... then DONT lift the claim. i have learned my lesson.

-dont expect to have guitars delivered to your doorstep if its USPS or something... always go to the post office and check for your guitar there.

-always leave a phone number with shipping companies like USP... if they cant contact you, theres a good chance your guitar will be filed under "rejected and unclaimed."

-when you get overcharged for shipping ... write a letter to the customs explaining it is not for resale. i ddnt know it before and i ended up paying expensive bribes or custom taxes.

-in case of minor damage, you cant do anything about it... in case of bigger damages, you can make a paypal claim... i doubt that you will win though. so there... just make sure you are buying from someone who has really good feedback or from a well known forumer. if its used warwick ... i dont think i will ever buy from anyone again except from well known forumers (here and the warwick forums), Rocket Music (warwick retailet) and Equipmant (used warwick seller from from ebay).

there... thats all i can think of for now ... best of luck!

I think that Reuel's reply is possibly tempered by his recent 'experiences'. :)

In the last year I've shipped to Romania and Canada and though there were glitches along the way with UPS (http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19770&hl=ups+warwick) it got there in the end.

Shipping Internationally isn't a huge issue;

[list]
[*]Ensure that you have a secure payment method.
[*]Be sure that the buyer is aware of shipping costs from very early on - as a guide it cost me £120 - £150 for my shipping costs.
[*]Pack the bass well.
[*]Get adequate insurance for the item (and make sure the courier firm know that it is for a bass guitar).
[*]Send the buyer the tracking number asap.
[*]It isn't worth telling lies on the various forms as it 'may' come back and bite you or the seller in the backside.
[/list]

Good luck.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='346071' date='Dec 5 2008, 07:38 AM']I think that Reuel's reply is possibly tempered by his recent 'experiences'. :)[/quote]

Another reason for my seeking advice. I didn't want something to go wrong with shipping and have this Czech gentleman appear on BC and then have the BC SWAT team come crashing through my computer monitor. :huh:

Actually, it wasn't long after I signed up that all the business kicked off, and as I've been trying to flog the Warwick I was terribly worried that I wouldn't have any luck, due to my newbie status. It's a shame these things happen, and a rotten deal for those on the (non) receiving end, but I'm pleased to see that people around here look out for each other. Sorry for weighing in a little late, just my 2p and all that.

Cheers for the advice. I hope Reuel is/soon will be enjoying his hard earned Vampyre as well as the buyer of my Thumb hopefully will.

JP

[quote name='Jamolah' post='346172' date='Dec 5 2008, 09:54 AM']Another reason for my seeking advice. [size=4][b]I didn't want something to go wrong with shipping and have this Czech gentleman appear on BC and then have the BC SWAT team come crashing through my computer monitor.[/b][/size] :huh:

Actually, it wasn't long after I signed up that all the business kicked off, and as I've been trying to flog the Warwick I was terribly worried that I wouldn't have any luck, due to my newbie status. It's a shame these things happen, and a rotten deal for those on the (non) receiving end, but I'm pleased to see that people around here look out for each other. Sorry for weighing in a little late, just my 2p and all that.

Cheers for the advice. I hope Reuel is/soon will be enjoying his hard earned Vampyre as well as the buyer of my Thumb hopefully will.

JP[/quote]

That is one of the reasons that I'd advocate doing everything above board (ie customs declarations, insurance value etc) otherwise if it all goes horribly Pete Tong then you can't be accused of being at fault. I realise 'why' some people ask for things to be done underhand and[s] if there is a clear (written) agreement that the buyer is responsible should things go wrong[/s]... actually strike that! If an instrument is damaged or lost in transit then the last thing you want is [u][b]you[/b][/u] being libel by the other party/paypal/customs etc.

The shipping side of things is no different to sending a bass to the other end of the UK. A courier collects, 'slings' it in the van (hence the flightcase and double boxed wrapping) and you know nothing more till it arrives at the other end.

TBH it is the buyer that should be concerned (no slight on you intended) and they should be the ones doing the checks and establishing if you can be trusted, after all you'll be receiving the money before the bass is shipped I take it? You could of course use an Escrow service... in fact you live in Newcastle; I'll hold the bass and cash for each party @ a very reasonable charge of a fine bottle of wine! :)

[quote name='Jamolah' post='346172' date='Dec 5 2008, 09:54 AM']I hope Reuel is/soon will be enjoying his hard earned Vampyre[/quote]

That's a good point, I was thinking about it the other day. Has he gotten it yet?

I've not read anything about it, but then again, I'm pretty oblivious at times. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='346618' date='Dec 5 2008, 04:41 PM']He should have it in a couple of days. :huh:[/quote]

Lovely news. Here's to getting what we want.

As for customs/insurance etc. where and how do I go about dealing with this? My assumption was that the courier company would inform me of all the costs and procedures when I arranged the shipment. Am I wrong?

Also, forgive my ignorance, but what is an Escrow service? And what does it have to do with wine? :)

JP

[quote name='Jamolah' post='346774' date='Dec 5 2008, 08:24 PM']Lovely news. Here's to getting what we want.

As for customs/insurance etc. where and how do I go about dealing with this? My assumption was that the courier company would inform me of all the costs and procedures when I arranged the shipment. Am I wrong?

Also, forgive my ignorance, but what is an Escrow service? And what does it have to do with wine? :)

JP[/quote]

+1 for Reule

The customs is basically a ticky box declaration that you fill in on-line when you book the courier (you also declare the value of the instrument so that the recipient can 'if need' be taxed by their appropriate C&E). Insurance is something the courier firm will offer on top of their usual paltry £50-£150 standard insurance. Elect not to take it as and how you feel with regard to insurance in general; I've never had to claim on my household OR car insurance in over 25 years but you can bet your bottom dollar the year I decide not to take it out my house will burn down or in the case of my car (aside from getting done for no insurance) it will get TWOCed

Ignore my quip about wine. :huh: An ESCROW service are a company that will hold the buyers funds in safe keeping until such time as they receive their item and when the buyer is satisfied they (the ESCROW company) release the funds to the seller. You pay for this service obviously (hence my wine charge if I do it for you) but at least the buyer gets peace of mind. Never used it myself and I've heard of a few cowboy/bogus companies so I wouldn't know who to recommend.