Why become a member? ×

Power Conditioner to overcome dirty power/power line ethernet interference?

Deedee

Is anyone using or could recommend to me a power conditioner/extension for home use? I'm getting some major interference through my amp when home practicing. The mains power at home is a little unstable to say the least (lots of power cuts etc) and some recently added power line ethernet adaptors are only adding to the interference.

I'm looking at the below one for example, but would ideally like to know if anybody else was happily using a similar device.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacima-6-Way-Mains-Conditioner-black/dp/B00UB0G4DQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Thanks

What sort of amp are you using? I can’t immediately speak for SS amps, but valve amps all run on DC and the power goes through a load of capacitors to covert it from AC before it sees a signal. This ‘cleans’ the supply for you and I’d be surprised if a SS class D type amp wasn’t doing the same?

Power line filters are a load of BS to be honest - have them and I’ve tried the same kit with and with it and they make no difference.

Other likely causes of interference are flourescant lights, microphonic valves and bad earthing 

Hope that helps?

Thanks for that.

To be honest it’s only one of my amps that is particularly susceptible, my old Trace SMX. I’ve recently had it serviced with quite a few caps etc being replaced, but I was still getting this interference coming through, which turned out to be from the power line ethernet devices that I’d got plugged in. They do cause interference and to prove the point I unplugged them all then tried the amp again and the main ‘pulse’ that I could hear previously disappeared.

I have since bought one of the above conditioners and it has certainly improved things. I would recommend it if anyone else is having the same issue.

Edited by Deedee

On 28/12/2018 at 10:47, Sir Spence said:

Glad you’ve got a solution (the main thing!) but bit odd that the power transformer in the amp isn’t doing that for you? ..it should isolate the amp’s internals so there’s no direct connection within the amp to the power

Not really surprising. Even if noise doesn't get through via normal transformer operation because the frequency is too high then it can transfer via interwinding capacitances.